• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Maths Extension 1 Predictions/Thoughts (21 Viewers)

Gods_Spear

HSC
what is the relative difficulty of sydney schools (ruse, nsb, etc) to the ext 1 exams? i feel the hsc exams are a bit easier but what is everyone's thoughts
Ruse's last question from this years trial had absolutely nothing on the last couple questions from last years HSC (except the weight one but I swear thats ext 2)

mohitmo

HSC
Yes, I understand where your teacher is coming from. In "Mastering Math Textbook" there is mention of tension force but in the question, it explicitly says the net force on an object like M2 in this question is "Fnet=T-MG". But in this question, it doesn't so that's probably why your teacher thinks it is 4u. Ruse kids were mostly likely taught tension in their 3u classes that's why the writer of the paper did not know it was required to say the information regarding the net force. I don't know what it says in the syllabus regarding this, but if a question like this came up in the HSC, I am pretty sure they will mention that net force is balanced between T and weight force. (Image is from page 67 of Mastering Mathematics Extension 1)

1729942318946.png

mohitmo

HSC
Once you know that the net force is balanced by Tension and weight force, it is an easy question, utilise vectors to illustrate the different forces on m1 and m2.

Edward34245

HSC
Is this question ext 2 mechanics?
View attachment 45393
my teacher says it is and it shouldnt have been in the ext 1 exam, but just to get confirmation
I think its doable with E1 knowledge because the tension cancels out. So the equation is (m1+m2)a=(m1sin30g-T)-(m2g-T) and you solve for acceleration. Technically you could just ignore the tension all together

Hejjwheh23

HSC
Seen this question in North Sydney girls trials 2024. I haven't seen anything like this before. What're the chances of this coming up tomorrow?

Attachments

appleali

HSC
Seen this question in North Sydney girls trials 2024. I haven't seen anything like this before. What're the chances of this coming up tomorrow?
hmm seems a bit more 4u because of vector lines but i guess its technically doable. i would say unlikely though

igor9

HSC
hmm seems a bit more 4u because of vector lines but i guess its technically doable. i would say unlikely though
u just gotta apply knowledge abt forces innit and it's in the mx1 syllabus too

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 17)