Maths Extension 2 Thoughts and Feelings (1 Viewer)

notme123

HSC
mult choice also horrible.
Id say the most ridiculous mcq were 7, and 9.

7. Idk if they expect us to prove the converse or something, but I said it was true with the few examples I could find, which is not a proof.
9. This question involved a little bit of circle geo theorem which would fly over many students' heads perhaps. I haven't done vector proofs on a circle since hsc so it took me a few minutes to remember so maybe it would've been easier for youse idk.

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I find it interesting that a number of the harder or more unusual questions in Ext2 lately come from topics that existed in the old syllabus. Where were these in the 2010s? In the years before the new syllabus, the HSC exams trended towards being more boring/generic (with a few exceptions) which makes you think the writers got lazier or just ran out of ideas. However, they seem to have gotten a refresh, particularly after 2020 and put in some questions in those old syllabus topics that were a little unexpected (compared to papers in the 2010s) and arguably more challenging than some of the harder trial papers.

Will be interesting to see if this is sustained or whether it will also eventually become more generic over time.

ikj

HSC
What would a raw mark of 88-89 scale to this year for ext 2?

okkk

HSC
Id say the most ridiculous mcq were 7, and 9.

7. Idk if they expect us to prove the converse or something, but I said it was true with the few examples I could find, which is not a proof.
9. This question involved a little bit of circle geo theorem which would fly over many students' heads perhaps. I haven't done vector proofs on a circle since hsc so it took me a few minutes to remember so maybe it would've been easier for youse idk.
Question 9 didn't need circle geo right, it was just pythag with hypotenuse as radius of the sphere in the first set, the radius that we're trying to find and 1/4 the length of AB

notme123

HSC
Question 9 didn't need circle geo right, it was just pythag with hypotenuse as radius of the sphere in the first set, the radius that we're trying to find and 1/4 the length of AB
the dot product = 0 of two points forming a sphere is kinda derived from a circle geo thing, where if A and B are on the same diameter, both lines joining to any point on a circle are perpendicular. idk i feel you need to be a bit creative as someone said earlier. not hard once you got it tho

Zyzz_139

HSC
Do the HSC markers base your marks off of your
What would a raw mark of 88-89 scale to this year for ext 2?
Considering the test was pretty hard, it will most likely be scaled to a solid 90 to 95+

yanujw

HSC
BOS has defeated SMH.

The errors spoken about previously here on BOS have embarrassed them enough to remove the video.

If you click on the link now you get

View attachment 36703
Wasn't that the usual video they get some poor hs student to go through (this year it was Prairiewood HS I think). Jeez... that's embarassing for that person.

Looks like now they've now gone straight to a JR student for the (correct) answer.

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
Wasn't that the usual video they get some poor hs student to go through (this year it was Prairiewood HS I think). Jeez... that's embarassing for that person.

Looks like now they've now gone straight to a JR student for the (correct) answer.

Well that's much better.

I've attached a screenshot again

16b-better.png

idkkdi

HSC
literally 1984. they need to be held accountable for their actions for not being able to do such a routine and easy question ugh. (sarcasm if anyone didn't pick it up)

also how do they decide whats the hardest question?
clearly by looking at which question has the most algebra bashing lmao

notme123

HSC
There is a new article on it at https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...-hsc-maths-questions-yet-20221021-p5brpl.html but they didn’t acknowledge their old video had to be replaced.

Seems like they are just trying to save face.
idk why smh articles make me cringe a little inside. especially when they get quotes from people but paraphrase it wrongly 'questions about projections that asked students to analyse the components of a motion of a particle could be read as “ambiguous.” ' I don't get what this is saying. There were no projections, only projectile motion. ik journalists arent mathematicians but including technical words for the sake of it doesn't do anything for the article or the readers.

notme123

HSC
clearly by looking at which question has the most algebra bashing lmao
last years algebra bashing was way worse. this year you literally just had to integrate twice and you're done. not denying the difficulty but the mathematical component wasn't very demanding

Allan Mekisic

HSC
The James Ruse answer to Q 16 b I think is incorrect. The solution did not take into account that there are two equations of motion. One for the journey upwards where a = - g - 0.1v and for the journey downwards a = g - 0.1v.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)