maths help please!!! (1 Viewer)

boredsatan

HSC
The graph of y = x^4 - 2x - 12 has 2 x-intercepts
a. construct a table of values for this polynomial rule for x = -3,-2,-1,0,1,2,3
b. Hence state an exact solution to the equation x^4 - 2x - 12 = 0
c. State an interval within which the other root of the equation lies and use the methods of bisection to obtain an estimate of this root correct to 1 decimal place

I get how to do part a and b, but i'm finding part c extremely challenging and confusing.

thanks!!!

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
The graph of y = x^4 - 2x - 12 has 2 x-intercepts
a. construct a table of values for this polynomial rule for x = -3,-2,-1,0,1,2,3
b. Hence state an exact solution to the equation x^4 - 2x - 12 = 0
c. State an interval within which the other root of the equation lies and use the methods of bisection to obtain an estimate of this root correct to 1 decimal place

I get how to do part a and b, but i'm finding part c extremely challenging and confusing.

thanks!!!
If you know a place where the polynomial is positive and another place where it is negative (and the root you already found does not lie between these two places), then the other root lies between these two numbers. You can then use the bisection method (check your textbook if you haven't learnt it yet).

boredsatan

HSC
Problem is i'm still not understanding (for whatever reason it's just not making sense to me) the bisection methods even after reading my textbook and the summary you linked me

Mahan1

HSC
Problem is i'm still not understanding (for whatever reason it's just not making sense to me) the bisection methods even after reading my textbook and the summary you linked me

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)