Maths in IT (1 Viewer)

doublel

HSC
After pursuing a degree in IT, i am curious to know the type of maths that would be involved. I dropped 2Unit Maths in my HSC and only did general and which i didn't do that great in either. So I was wondering If anyone has insight to the type of maths that is involved and If I would be able to cope doing an IT degree.

Demise

HSC
IT is more on the business side of things and less of the development, so the mathematics required is minimal and I think general may be enough. Not too sure if calculus will be used in IT, it may, which is 2U level though.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
IT is more on the business side of things and less of the development, so the mathematics required is minimal and I think general may be enough. Not too sure if calculus will be used in IT, it may, which is 2U level though.
a) Depends which uni you're going to (as they all have different course structures).
b) Generally, most IT degrees have no maths or very minimal e.g. basic addition, multiplication, division, ability to apply exponents (powers) or double numbers.
c) USyd would have to be the most intensive IT course I've seen involving maths i.e. (MX1 assumed - calculus/linear algebra). Everywhere else, heavy maths is not required as far as I know.
d) UNSW IT, do one subject on business stats.

doublel

HSC
Well this is quite assuring, I always assumed that IT was a very maths extensive subject requiring up to 3u and 4u knowledge of maths. Also, I plan on studying at Macquarie so from what you guys have said I'm guessing I wont need greater knowledge other than 2u, which I plan on studying during the holidays.

TomHSC2012

HSC
Well this is quite assuring, I always assumed that IT was a very maths extensive subject requiring up to 3u and 4u knowledge of maths. Also, I plan on studying at Macquarie so from what you guys have said I'm guessing I wont need greater knowledge other than 2u, which I plan on studying during the holidays.
Me too! I plan on studying BA IT at mcq! I was also wondering about exactly how much maths is involved but no one can seem to give a prefect answer. However I haven't done any maths since the SC so yeah, I'm that there will be little maths involved at mcq!

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
As MrBrightside said there is not a lot of maths in IT courses, on the other hand a Computer Science has a lot and Software Engineering a fair bit. IT courses are more practical based i guess.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
As MrBrightside said there is not a lot of maths in IT courses, on the other hand a Computer Science has a lot and Software Engineering a fair bit. IT courses are more practical based i guess.
This is true.

IT = The non-theoretical side of computing. It scratches the surface of basic computer science e.g. basic logic gates and basic Boolean logic, but that's all it does. It doesn't go in depth of maths and theories. That's for the Computer Science and Software/Computer Engineers to do. IT is like having one foot in the technical world and one foot in the business world.

Comp Sci/Software Eng/Computer Eng = Heavy Maths, Heavy Algorithms, Heavy coding, teaches you the theories of why things are the way they are. (No doubt, IT does this as well, but at a subtle level).

Someone put it simply to me on an Open Day: Basically IT Professionals work with the applications produced by Computer Scientists and Engineers.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
I hesitate to say that Comp Sci requires heavy maths - except if you're including logic into that category.

As far as what people would normally be used to in terms of 'maths' - no, there is not much in there at all (but of course there'll be subjects where there will be more of it, security/cryptographic subjects and what have you).

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I hesitate to say that Comp Sci requires heavy maths - except if you're including logic into that category.

As far as what people would normally be used to in terms of 'maths' - no, there is not much in there at all (but of course there'll be subjects where there will be more of it, security/cryptographic subjects and what have you).
Maybe not heavy maths compared to a pure maths degree or something, but from my understanding Comp Sci courses involve quite a bit of linear algebra - it'd be wise to shy away from it if you are no good at and scared of maths haha.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
Maybe not heavy maths compared to a pure maths degree or something, but from my understanding Comp Sci courses involve quite a bit of linear algebra - it'd be wise to shy away from it if you are no good at and scared of maths haha.
There are no doubt a heap of applications to Computer Science by use of Linear Algebra, but as far as a regular undergrad degree goes you won't encounter a whole lot of it, or possibly none at all. As I said, Cryptographic techniques (in encryption) you can definitely find a use for it, and I guess in any sort of game major in terms of vectors.

I just don't want to people to think "There's heaps of maths in comp sci, I don't want to do it" because you pretty much don't need any maths for it. Maths certainly does help you in terms of logical thinking, but as far as applications go (and especially software applications in the real world in a general case) there won't be a lot of maths.

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC

Computer science IS a mathematical discipline. The problem is that people are career-oriented, so they want to learn practical skills in uni, so CS courses end up being mostly about software engineering. What a pity.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
There are no doubt a heap of applications to Computer Science by use of Linear Algebra, but as far as a regular undergrad degree goes you won't encounter a whole lot of it, or possibly none at all. As I said, Cryptographic techniques (in encryption) you can definitely find a use for it, and I guess in any sort of game major in terms of vectors.

I just don't want to people to think "There's heaps of maths in comp sci, I don't want to do it" because you pretty much don't need any maths for it. Maths certainly does help you in terms of logical thinking, but as far as applications go (and especially software applications in the real world in a general case) there won't be a lot of maths.
It depends where you're coming from though. You may be a whiz at maths, and consider MX1/MX2 HSC maths a no brainer. But for other people on these forums, they may be coming from backgrounds involving only limited maths, say 2 unit (advanced) or general maths or no senior year maths at all. For these people a Comp Sci would serve as a real shock, and would probably struggle doing a $400 2-week intensive maths bridging course if you had no prior senior maths experience or only did general maths.

Basically, if you've done at least Maths 2 unit (advanced) in the HSC, you should be able to jump the hoops of the $400 2-week bridging course at UNSW. Maybe a few general maths people would be able as well, but the morale/level of persistence drops as maths level drop. There's a reason why people get classed into several maths stream at high school. It prepares them for what it would take to do a 'logical and critical thinking course" at uni.

If you're like me and did 2 unit maths (advanced) back in school and barely managed to get that band 5. I suggest look elsewhere, but if you are really content and are willing at putting in extra hours for study (I'm talking weekends and holidays here, when all of your friends are having fun), then by all means do comp sci. One important quote to remember is "Put in the hard yards now, and the rewards will be greater later on".

Also note: Different unis require different maths levels for their comp sci courses:

UNSW (most intensive maths in comp sci): MX1 recommended, MX2 seen as a bonus. (There are about 3-4 Maths subjects studied in comp sci, 1st and 2nd year as far as I can remember, Software Engineering do 2 additional maths subjects, stats/probability and an additional maths subject).
UoW: Maths 2 unit (advanced) recommended.
USyd: MX1 recommended.
UTS (ICT Engineering-not comp sci, but it's the closest course UTS currently has): MX1 recommended.

I've had friends who did general maths in school and failed stats subjects for comp sci. I've also had general maths friends who have gone into engineering and done well. I guess it's up to you and whether or not you're a 'critical/pattern problem solving thinker'.

Check the course structure for each degree. That's what I did when applying for a course.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

TomHSC2012

HSC
It depends where you're coming from though. You may be a whiz at maths, and consider MX1/MX2 HSC maths a no brainer. But for other people on these forums, they may be coming from backgrounds involving only limited maths, say 2 unit (advanced) or general maths or no senior year maths at all. For these people a Comp Sci would serve as a real shock, and would probably struggle doing a $400 2-week intensive maths bridging course if you had no prior senior maths experience or only did general maths.

Basically, if you've done at least Maths 2 unit (advanced) in the HSC, you should be able to jump the hoops of the $400 2-week bridging course at UNSW. Maybe a few general maths people would be able as well, but the morale/level of persistence drops as maths level drop. There's a reason why people get classed into several maths stream at high school. It prepares them for what it would take to do a 'logical and critical thinking course" at uni.

If you're like me and did 2 unit maths (advanced) back in school and barely managed to get that band 5. I suggest look elsewhere, but if you are really content and are willing at putting in extra hours for study (I'm talking weekends and holidays here, when all of your friends are having fun), then by all means do comp sci. One important quote to remember is "Put in the hard yards now, and the rewards will be greater later on".

Also note: Different unis require different maths levels for their comp sci courses:

UNSW (most intensive maths in comp sci): MX1 recommended, MX2 seen as a bonus. (There are about 3-4 Maths subjects studied in comp sci, 1st and 2nd year as far as I can remember, Software Engineering do 2 additional maths subjects, stats/probability and an additional maths subject).
UoW: Maths 2 unit (advanced) recommended.
USyd: MX1 recommended.
UTS (ICT Engineering-not comp sci, but it's the closest course UTS currently has): MX1 recommended.

I've had friends who did general maths in school and failed stats subjects for comp sci. I've also had general maths friends who have gone into engineering and done well. I guess it's up to you and whether or not you're a 'critical/pattern problem solving thinker'.

Check the course structure for each degree. That's what I did when applying for a course.

Hope that helps!
Hello MrBrightSide,

Thanks for all your help and information thus far! I am one of those guys coming from NO maths in senior school but hoping to do a BA IT majoring in business information systems, at Macquarie Uni. I have already achieved an ATAR of 75.05 and the cut-off for Macquarie is 74.40. I have studied TVET IT in years 11 and 12 and completed cert II in IT as well as a cert III in networking. My question is, as I didn't do maths in senior school would I suffer from not doing since the major that I plan on doing at Macquarie assumes that I have done mathematics let alone general maths. I did do some maths in IT CERT III, binary and hex, which for me was a bit of a struggle. So what do you think my chances are?

Cheers.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I have a friend doing games development at Macquarie and i believe you will have to do Discrete Mathematics. Supposedly Macquarie mark to a bell curve and if they didn't most people would fail that subject lol... As you are coming from a background of no maths whatsoever in 11/12 i'd probably suggest you try and do a 2 unit bridging course if possible even though i doubt the content you learn in it will be very relevant. My friend did terrible (i think band 3) in 2 unit maths but he seemed like he was going alright in that subject he had to do.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Thanks for your help Brent.
No problems, just check and make sure that subject is part of your course! I'm assuming that, like at UTS, games development at macquarie is essentially just a major for IT.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
I have a friend doing games development at Macquarie and i believe you will have to do Discrete Mathematics. Supposedly Macquarie mark to a bell curve and if they didn't most people would fail that subject lol... As you are coming from a background of no maths whatsoever in 11/12 i'd probably suggest you try and do a 2 unit bridging course if possible even though i doubt the content you learn in it will be very relevant. My friend did terrible (i think band 3) in 2 unit maths but he seemed like he was going alright in that subject he had to do.
Yes, discrete maths is part of IT at Macquarie. http://courses.mq.edu.au/undergradu...hnology/major-in-business-information-systems

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
There's no doubt that Comp Sci students in general struggle with Discrete - it's exactly the same at UoW. However this will be one of the few times that you will see maths like this throughout the degree so this shouldn't be cause for discouragement (but it unfortunately is among a lot of people who take on Comp Sci!).

Really though if you want to do Comp Sci enough then you'll find a way through the maths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)