Maths vs. English (1 Viewer)

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
ScottyG said:
Wow. Nice generalisation there. Do the english markers have horns to cap it off?
lawl!! if you really wanted to! :p haha

maths really induced all the advancements in technology though. if it weren't for maths ( the fundamental of most sciences, etc); we wouldn't be sitting around here bludging/procrastinating on the internet debating about maths and english.

oh yeah btw, fundamental english is also only needed in day-to-day life. we're not gonna be making a close,comparative study on texts in the future are we?

i rekkon we should make no subjects compulsory ... or we CAN make english compulsory but allow it NOT to count towards the UAI.
that would be better i think!

Mumma

HSC
The only good subjects are software, 3U/4U maths, physics, and maybe chemistry/biology. Everything else = boring.

Alexander23q

HSC
MATHS IS BETTER ENGLISH!! NO MATTER WHAT!!

english.. its useful.. but whats the point of 4unit english? advanced english fair enough but unless you are on extremely bored child with nothing to do in life then, you choose 4unit english - well thats my stereotype for people who do 4unit english -.- so many essays to write but hey.. im not gonna say that what your doing is bad, its good but i like maths better :D

ladyknight

HSC
You do realise that 4unit english is mainly about your MW and not the few internal gradings it includes? I only had 1 essay in it all year, with 1 report and 1 speech, and I found the course really fun and simple:p.

s2indie

HSC
I'd say english is better - I find it easier to grasp concepts rather than memorising formulas.

HSC
Die, maths, die!!! Although year 9 and 10 maths class account for many great memories (we had casuals for a lot of the year) the actual maths part was horrible.
Ellie add drama on to the end of your subject list and we're doing exactly the same subjects aswell. English and history all the way!

yssy

HSC
English is a waste of time and should not be compulsory. It will not be used anywhere outside of school. We know how to speak the language. Maybe it should be re-named to "literature".
Maths is cool, it actually has applications outside of school (well most of it).

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
The thing that I like about maths is it's objective element. I like how you can't get screwed out of marks (except perhaps, very slightly, in the HSC exam where you can't appeal erred marking) and it's puzzle solving element.

English, on the other hand, I cannot fathom. I find the texts so repetitive and the essay writing element so annoying. Nevertheless it's all down to opinion, but mine is aligned to maths :)

hydii

HSC
i love both~ and truly believe that there's a need of balance between creativity and logic, for they are parallel elements in making advance in knowledge!~

ladyknight

HSC
But the repetition and all's just to get you into higher thinking- past that it's not stupid at all because it's your own philosophies and not the stuff you're supposed to memorise... :(

Why oh why won't anyone defend poor little english???

But I do reckon the subject should be changed to Lit. - point to you, yssy!

Last edited:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Boxxxhead said:
The thing that I like about maths is it's objective element. I like how you can't get screwed out of marks (except perhaps, very slightly, in the HSC exam where you can't appeal erred marking) and it's puzzle solving element.
I agree, you either get it right or not, and even if you get markers that mark hard on your exams, they will still have to give you the marks if you get it right. For example, you can't get marked down for writing the square root sign differently to others, whereas in english if you write in the wrong structure, you lose marks for doing that.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
pretty random questions but are all you maths lovers asian? and if your wondering i am myself haha =]

SarahMary

*Procrastination Central*
HSC
Ellie_Belly said:
Maths is set in concrete, it's black or it's white, it's right or wrong.
Maths for that reason exactly. so logical, so easy. it is what it is and nothing else. Slight bias in the fact i hated my english teacher too. but i've always been much better at maths. my brains wired for it

kit scara

Lyres Lair, just past the pink baloon tied to the
HSC
English and any artistic subjects. I don't hold with these actuallly-useful-for-something-real-gets-you-a-real-job subjects. I like being bohemian and spending all my money on sheet music and play scripts instead of food or shelter or clothing of some kind.

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
Riviet said:
I agree, you either get it right or not, and even if you get markers that mark hard on your exams, they will still have to give you the marks if you get it right. For example, you can't get marked down for writing the square root sign differently to others, whereas in english if you write in the wrong structure, you lose marks for doing that.
structure would equate to working

;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)