Maths... (1 Viewer)

Nullz

Nullz
HSC
I have only completed up to General Maths in the HSC, and the assumed knowledge for an engineering degree is atleast Maths Ext 1.

Well im ready to take on the extra workload, but am wondering how i should go about this. Should i just turn up to the Maths Ext 1 bridging course offered, or start doing 2unit maths and work my way up? I willl be getting outside tuition to assist me also and will most likely sign up for the foundation mathematics subject offered.

I would just like advice on what would be the best way to go about this.

Thanks.

Punctuation M

HSC
N/A
You can't just go strait to Mathematics Ext 1 from General, that means you're missing Calculus and Ext 1 is built on Calculus. If I was you, I would be working on Mathematics (2 Unit) now during the holidays if possible, thus getting enough Mathematical knowledge into your head so that you can handle the Ext 1 bridging course offered by the university.

I wish you good luck, cause I think you've alot of work to do to be able to handle the assumd knowledge demand that engineering studies asks of you.

Btw, which area of engineering? Civil? Computer etc...

Nullz

Nullz
HSC
nope, havnt done physics, however i was told it starts from the beginning and theres a slow paced option available - I think ill be fine with that.

nicknardo

HSC
hey yeh im going to do mechanical engineering and i only did general maths in HSC, and wasnt sure of which bridging course to do

wat do you guys recommend? i think doing the 2 unit maths course would be more beneficial than jumping straight into the extension 1 course.

il have to do the foundation maths subject too

JhK89

HSC
no i think maths 2 will be good ext i think is too much of a jump unless your ready for a work load

rockets

HSC
N/A
engineering is all MATHS based, and the maths is nothing like how they teach u at school. Good luck to the general maths people as even people I know who did ext 1 0r 2 had to work at it!!!!!

nicknardo

HSC
thanks mate, yep il follow what you said about the maths, n yeh i did physics and chemistry in hsc as well so i should be fine with them

eppingMCE

HSC
Musk said:
actually its mainly communication based but u need to know the problem solving skills ie maths n physics
Hey i was wondering does that apply too all engineering, does any of them require more physics in particular coz i LOVE PHYSICS, maths is good too but physics kicks ass!!

morganforrest

HSC
From what my girlfriend has said, most people who didn't do at least MX1 in school seriously struggle with engineering, most dropping down to Science. Admittedly she goes to USYD, not UTS but isn't the entire first semester a rehash of the 4unit HSC course?

How will people who did General handle subjects like mechanics??

morganforrest

HSC
Well I plan on getting a UAI that lets me do whatever I want and the girlfriend would agree with you....she can't understand why I'm doing it....but I'm not really sure whether I want to get into media or politics so Im gunna do that then a master of politics and public policy then decide what i want to do

morganforrest

HSC
No I'm not....was going to do it with law but realised there was no point as being a lawyer would be boring. And that's the only thing I can combine it with.
Or was going to go to UTS and combine with Int Studies but can get a masters in same amount of time

tem197

SLUR DESTRUCTIVE
HSC
sorry to bombard you with questions but i was just curious, i do adv maths now, also phys and chem. im pretty much average with maths, and average at my school is not all that good, im talking like 50% if not less.
oh, i was hoping to do civil engineering by the way.

is it going to be neccessary for me to do ext 1 bridging course?

UWS offers the same course but they say only adv maths is required, so i was just curious if maybe UTS was saying "assumed knowledge ext 1 maths" just to make sure everyones got their maths down pat.

does the fact i do physics mean im going to have a slightly better chance of understanding the maths put before me?

tem197

SLUR DESTRUCTIVE
HSC
so.. well i dont suppose you would know, but just incase, do you know what the maths level is like at UWS?

and also is it similar to high school in that you learn a certain function or formula and then continue to build on it over the years?

i'm just worried because maths is definately not my strong point, and i dont wan to struggle for the next four years, or even worse - have to drop the course.

thanks for your help!!

tem197

SLUR DESTRUCTIVE
HSC
well i would like to say yes, but after working hard all through high school i dont know if i can stand another four years of it! i'm just wondering if im going to get burnt out, know what i mean?

say i did the ext bridging course, is the maths going to be pretty similar all through the course? like building on formulas and that sort of thing?
i remember speaking to a guy at the UTS open day and he told me the maths was mostly division, multiplication, nothing too insane, was he lying? :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)