• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Mature Age Students :) (1 Viewer)

Shokujo

HSC
N/A
Hi all. I'm 32 years old, and have just applied for uni next year. Living in a country area, I've applied to go to CQUni in Rockhampton, first preference primary teaching, second preference secondary teaching.

Looks like I should manage to get in, as I have a traineeship under my belt which is worth 71 selection rank, and based on 09 entries, I'd only need a 60 (i'm aware that it can change, but based on previous years it should be fine!)..

Anyway, my question is: How well do mature age students fit in to the whole uni scene? If you are mature age are you loving it? If you aren't mature age, do you try and ignore the oldies, or do you get along with them ok?

Silly question I know, just interested in finding out peoples thoughts :)

HSC
In a course such as teaching, there will be a lot of mature age students. At my uni its a roughly 60/40 split between school leavers and mature age in teaching, and I presume it would be similar at CQU.
I'm a school leaver myself, but I have a few tutes with mature age students. Some are lovely, some are horrible. But the fact that they are horrible is nothing to do with the fact that the individual is older, I reckon our personalities would clash no matter what.
So, to answer your question, you tend to ignore the fact that people are mature age. Its more their personalities that count, imo.

Good luck! I am sure that you will be fine getting in, its rare that selection ranks jump by that much.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
more mature students found in arts, business and psychology.

if you are a mature student in an undergraduate engineering course then LOL, wont fit in with those smart young guns.

Shokujo

HSC
N/A
Thanks :) That makes me feel a little better! It's a massively scary concept going back to uni at this age, but I know that teaching is something i really want to do, so that's the main thing :)

blerkles

HSC
N/A
I was 22 when I went back to uni to do secondary teaching (didn't finish it, but life got in the way).... anywho, it was great during tutes because even that extra little bit of life experience helped heaps and was appreciated. But back at the dorms, I was treated like an outdated granny! My advice: Don't live on campus as a mature aged student.

If you don't get in, you can do an accredited Primary Ed degree (and in 2010 an Early Childhood one) through Curtin Uni (in WA) by distance through Open Universities (www.open.edu.au) with no entry criteria - you do the first 7 subjects and you have to pass some to continue on. UNE (in NSW) also do Primary Ed and Special Ed by distance. USQ do Early Childhood, Primary, Special and Secondary by distance, from memory. Lots of options.

I actually got accepted this study period by CQU (not in Ed faculty though) but declined the offer due to rumours of the uni closing down. Also heard that they do lots to get people (in particular full-fee international students) in the door, then they aren't so great once you have sold your soul to them. Each to their own though....

Shokujo

HSC
N/A
Thanks for that blerkles. I'm only living 30 minutes from the campus, so I'll be living at home! Glad to hear that some life experience does help a little :)

I have actually done 2 units through open universities in the past, and find that I lack proper motivation to do distance education. Plus even though there was some great support, I think I really need to sit in a room with someone actually telling me "1+1=2" instead of having to read through it a million times to get the point.

I can't see CQU closing down any time soon, but if it does, i can re-assess my options. I'd see how the first year pans out, then if I'm not happy i can look elsewhere. But thanks so much for the advice :) I love how modern technology means we don't have to spend all day every day at school!

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
Anyway, my question is: How well do mature age students fit in to the whole uni scene? If you are mature age are you loving it? If you aren't mature age, do you try and ignore the oldies, or do you get along with them ok? :)
I have plenty of mature aged student friends, and they all get on with everyone.
you'll fit in fine, provided you're reasonably sociable. Some mature age students have been known for trying to take over the lecture and ramble on about an experience they had - completely unrelated to the topic of discussion. That's an express route to being hated lol.
Other mature students are just good value, well liked, and get on very well at uni.
Do a course you're interested in, otherwise it will be sht lol. I remember another mature student who did a 3rd year computing course with no knowledge in computers.
But yeh, have an awesome time. Introduce yourself to the youngens. They won't even care/notice about any age gap, unless you make a specific dig about being better than everyone else because you're older or something. For the reason you've already logged on here, i doubt you'd have any troubles :)
best of luck!

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Hi all. I'm 32 years old, and have just applied for uni next year. Living in a country area, I've applied to go to CQUni in Rockhampton, first preference primary teaching, second preference secondary teaching.

Looks like I should manage to get in, as I have a traineeship under my belt which is worth 71 selection rank, and based on 09 entries, I'd only need a 60 (i'm aware that it can change, but based on previous years it should be fine!)..

Anyway, my question is: How well do mature age students fit in to the whole uni scene? If you are mature age are you loving it? If you aren't mature age, do you try and ignore the oldies, or do you get along with them ok?

Silly question I know, just interested in finding out peoples thoughts :)
As long as you're not a pain in the arse, know it all fuck head, you'll fit in swell.

Mature age students usually get a bad rap because they're the ones who try and finish lecturers sentences and then insist on answering every question, even if it's just the lecturer taking a breath.

So yeah 32 isn't even that old wat, once you're like 45 thats when people are like 'omg don't talk to the old guy'

jaimebien

HSC
I've observed that mature aged students in my lectures like to sit in front, which isn't a bad thing in itself. But because they tend to sit alone and in front, they don't get much of a chance to get to know other people in the lecture. Also, like a few people have already mentioned, it's no fun asking unrelated questions and hogging up lecture time--some people (non-mature age students included!) like to do this to show off, and it doesn't earn them any points at all--both in terms of likeability and the assessment mark, since you're not being assessed in lectures anyway.

Shokujo

HSC
N/A
Thanks so much everyone :) I do feel a lot better :) I'm definitely looking forward to the experience, thats for sure!

witide

HSC
As long as you don't compare me to your children (or grandchildren), I don't mind who you are. I have an older lady in one of my classes and she always tells me how much I remind her of her youngest son.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Most with a family just want to get their degree and get out - I doubt they really get involved in the 'experience' of university which is fine. I remember there was an older woman in our debating workshop though and another in one of the societies.

Shokujo

HSC
N/A
As long as you don't compare me to your children (or grandchildren), I don't mind who you are. I have an older lady in one of my classes and she always tells me how much I remind her of her youngest son.

That's ok, I don't have any kids! So no comparisons lol..

I'm mostly there to learn and to get my degree, however having a few people to chat too and maybe have a good study group would be great.

Thanks everyone so much for the information :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)