Mature age - Whats required from year 9/10 in order to study prelim/HSC maths? (1 Viewer)

juggernaut

HSC
Hey guys, any help on this at all would be so awesome..

Im an old fella (mature age) and returning to study and doing a maths course (the prep course at sydney uni) which requires assumed knowledge of year 10 advanced maths. (ie, being up to year 11 prelim)
Since i havent studied maths in years ive got myself a copy of year 9 and 10 signpost books and am currently bringing myself up to date.
However, the problem is there is just so much material, and ive been trying to eliminate alot of it and learn only the content/skills that are necessary in order to competently study year 11 (and after that year 12) maths.

Ive been finding it hard to distinguish what basics i exactly need to extract from these 2 books, and it would be awesome if you guys could help me generate a list of prequisites i need in order to go well in this class

ive just finished doing the obvious topics from both the books, ie algebra based ones (did things like fractions, basic equations, basic algebra, polynomials - factoring quads etc, surds)

Now im sort of lost on whats the next most important topics ... trig, line sketching, geometry (theres soo much geo, nfi where to start)??

As i said, just trying to generate some sort of logical list in which i can progessively go through and make sure ive learnt everything i need to so i can accomplish doing the harder year 11/12 stuff when this course starts.

Any help on this would be so so so appeciated

cheers~

Shadose

Enjoy Life
HSC
I think it would be better to start straight with a year 11 textbook now. They still have explanations.
If, you still don't understand a concept, then you could refer back to year 10 text book. They all usually include the basic knowledge required in the first few chapters.

I believe this saves much more time.

juggernaut

HSC
I suppose thats a good idea. However, i often hear that learning the basics is the key to going well in maths, and basics is something i lack. i know practically nothing to do with trig, geo, wouldnt even know how to sketch a straight line...

I understand that algebra is probably the one underlying topic found in all other topics, so the basics of that are essential and its good that ive got that out of the way, but surely there is other things from year 10 that i definately need to know and are skills ill use in year 11/12 ?

I guess it would be wise to get a year 11 book and match up corresponding topics from the year 10 book that are continued in year 11

Caitlin63

:-)
HSC
yes that would be advisable. Trig, curve sketching and geometry are all a part of year 11 mathematics but most stuff is revised from year 10 so i think looking up a year 11 text book and if it doesn't give enough info refer back to previous years. I know for me alot of year 11 work was just refreshing year 10 and then adding a bit more knowledge onto it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)