MBLG1001 Help! (1 Viewer)

Larche

HSC
Uh, hi.

Long story short MBLG is destroying me. I have a question here which just makes me go, "...wtf".

Help? :)

A method requires culturing stem cells in 1mL wells incubated at 27C in a humidified incubator. To induce the differentiation of these stem cells you must add dexamethasone, a steroid analogue. The method states you must add 2.5microLitres(uL) of a 100micromole(uM) stock dexamethasone solution per mL cell culture. (i) Ignoring the volume of the dexamethasone addition what is the final concentration of dexamethasone in the differentiation medium i.e. assuming final volume of 1mL after the dexamethasone addition? (ii) You have 4x12 well plates, each well with 1mL of stem cells. You need to make up enough 100uM dexamethsone to differentiate all these cells and you have a 2 mM(millimole) commercial sterile dexamethsone solution. How would you make up this 100uM dexamethasone solution?

No. freaking. idea.

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
Caveat: I don't do MBLG. I have no freaking idea, either. But it looks fairly straightforward? Maybe. I don't know. You should really ask your tutor, fellow student, or lecturer.

Looks like they're asking you to use c1v1=c2v2 to answer the questions. In the first part, you have two volumes and one concentration. In the second part, you have two concentrations and one volume. Put the values in, rearrange the formula, and you should have your answers. Just remember to convert all numbers to the same value (millimole to micromole, or whichever way around).

Remember that you may need to account for the fact that you need 2.5μL of 100μM solution per 1mL cell culture, too. Which is why I assume they ask you to calculate this in (i).

I think (i) might by 0.25μM, and (ii) You need 120μL of the 100μL dexa to add, so... 6μL of the 2μM solution + 114μL of whatever you add it to (sterilised water?).

Caveat: Again, big MAYBE for all this.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)