Mcdonalds giving more hours than I applied for + Yr12 (1 Viewer)

Chocolatebubble

HSC
Uni Grad
When I got to work in Maccas they asked my availability and I never asked for more than 6 hours, and starting at 10-11 (because I live 45 mins away). But the shifts they've been giving me are like 8 hours long and they're telling me to start at 8, and they're giving me days that I haven't asked for! It's the holidays now, and I DID say that I could work on holidays. But I can only work Fridays-Sundays because I babysit my neighbour Mondays-Thursdays (which I specified during the interview), and they gave me a Thursday shift! They're also giving me 20 hour weeks when I said that I could only do 15. What is their deal? Why do they ask all this if they're not going to go by it?

I've applied for leave for 2 weeks for prelims, so is it bad that I tell them that I can't work weekdays?

Also, for year 12, I'm thinking on doing only 1 shift a week. How do I specify this in the diary they gave you?

Chocolatebubble

HSC
Uni Grad
If you're employed as a casual they can give you whatever shifts they like. They probably asked the questions in the interview to guage roughly what you can do, but when you have heaps of people working there, it can be difficult to keep track of everyone's personal availabilities and it's probably in their best interests to have you work for longer shifts and earlier starting times because it works better with their standard rosters.

Sure, you can complain about it, but if you're a casual, they then have a right to cease offering you shifts (technically not firing you). If you wanted regular hours it's probably better to be employed part-time, rather than casual.

Starting off by discussing it with your supervisor or manager is probably best. Good luck
I don't mind if they give me less hours (that's what i'm hoping for them to do, i'm changing my times asap) I just have an issue with them giving me more than specified and on the wrong days, out of everything. I do want to talk to them about it but I haven't worked for 3 weeks (i had blood donations + prelims), and i'm fairly new (2-3 months working) so I don't want to seem too difficult to handle.

moocow920

HSC
At least where I work, in school holidays they make all school students available all day every day and available for as many shifts per week as they want. You need to tell them separate school holiday availabilities.

Shazer2

HSC
I worked at McDonalds through most of my HSC and they had no problem giving me 1 shift a week.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
In my experience, I wanted to do only 2 shifts a week in year 12(and then 1 shift after half yearlies), basically you just mention it in the book and they'll do it, they understand,many people are like that and many leave in year 12,you'll just be another person doing it and they'll accommodate you,as long as you're not having bad rep with the managers they'll take it as another casual year 12 who can only go this certain time. But try to give multiple availability days even if its only 1 shift,don't be too specific and say I want the 1 shift at this specific day (understandable for once a while dealings or public holidays).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)