me and my friend got the same ranking for english. is this possible? (1 Viewer)

Scissors

HSC
i just asked a friend what he got for english, and his rank was the same as mine. should i call the school and ask them wtf is up?

runnable

HSC
No it can happen. That is the same for me for my Eng rank.

HSC
yeah it can happen but if you beat him in all the internals or you think you should be above him you should probably ask

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
If you think you should have a higher rank then check with the school but having people with equal ranks is perfectly possible.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
extremely unlike, even less than 0.5 decimal is considered a rank difference.
Unless you two got the exact same marks in all your assessment, you'd better get it checked out.

dp624

HSC
chewy123 said:
extremely unlike, even less than 0.5 decimal is considered a rank difference.
Unless you two got the exact same marks in all your assessment, you'd better get it checked out.
My school gives heaps and heaps of equal ranks.

tannyz

HSC
you two have the same rank rounded off in your reports but recorded on the teacher's computer or whateva one of you are higher since they round off your marks to 2 decimal places.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
dp624 said:
My school gives heaps and heaps of equal ranks.
That's not a good thing, unless your teacher genuinely believed the students capacity are equal.

X

xeuyrawp

chewy123 said:
That's not a good thing, unless your teacher genuinely believed the students capacity are equal.
Erm... It has nothing to do with what teacher(s) believe, it has to do with marks.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
PwarYuex said:
Erm... It has nothing to do with what teacher(s) believe, it has to do with marks.
Why? Isn't the marks the determinant of the teachers' belief?
Nonetheless, from experience I noted that teachers generally want to create a larger spread in ranks, clustering everyone together isn't a good thing. If the standard of a particular assessment is high, they would mark harsher just so few receive the same mark as a result.

alez

feel like an angel
HSC
we have heaps of ties at our school
had 3 people tied first in business
i tied in bio
pretty much every one of our classes has at least one
so it works, is just annoying sometimes

HSC
There are ties in my school, most especially in English, since the assessment tasks are out of low marks (15 usually instead of 90+ for Maths etc) and there is more people than any other subject.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
its pretty uncommon but yeah. its just the same concept as two people tieing in a race, except incredibly more uncommon because its like so many different things adding up to equal your friends.

SimonLee13

HSC
gibbo153 said:
its pretty uncommon but yeah. its just the same concept as two people tieing in a race, except incredibly more uncommon because its like so many different things adding up to equal your friends.
People don't tie in a race, they just come really close, unless you have thousands of people running lol. I would assume even the slightest mark 0.1 would change your rank though? well it should anyway.

X

xeuyrawp

chewy123 said:
Why? Isn't the marks the determinant of the teachers' belief?
Yes, but that's obviously not the issue here.

You get marked on an ongoing basis, it has nothing to do with what teachers' believe at any given time outside of every single time they marked you.

They do not compare students and rank them in the manner you suggested (by comparing them), they simply give them marks for each assignment. If, at the end, the marks are equal, then you have the same rank. End of story.

Nonetheless, from experience I noted that teachers generally want to create a larger spread in ranks,
Um, you can't have a large spread in ranks. A rank goes from first to last, you cannot spread it out without adding fake statistical results... I've never heard of a school spreading out ranks by adding fake students. Maybe it's just me.
clustering everyone together isn't a good thing.
Actually, if you're setting appropriate assessment tasks, you'd be hoping for a bellcurve... Not sure what you're going on about.

If the standard of a particular assessment is high, they would mark harsher just so few receive the same mark as a result.
What...? Who would receive the same mark as whom? Why are you talking about marks now when before you were talking about ranks...? :-S

starlightlam

HSC
extremely unlikely but it can happen, only say you and your friend came 1st the the next person after you will come 3rd,

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
alez said:
we have heaps of ties at our school
had 3 people tied first in business
That's really poor. If the top three exam marks are 98, 92, 89 then the three tied students all get an assessment mark of 93.

gypo king

HSC
from wat i hear: ur skool does assessment marks to like 2 decimal places, but the bos does it to either 1 or none (like if u get 90.4 the bos rounds it off to 90).
also, if two people are tied on first they BOTH get the highest exam mark as their assessment marks, they dont take an average of the highest exam marks.
dats why i was 4th according to my skool in chem and 3rd accordin to bos
and 3rd in physics at skool, while i was 2nd accordin to bos
and 4th in SOR at skool, while i was 3rd accordin to bos

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)