• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Me ranting about group assignments (1 Viewer)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
agreed. hate group work. cant stand it. I always get stuck with bludgers who do jack all and offer pathetic excuses (read: " i dunno how to do it." "what are we supposed to do" "yeah....so?"). GRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr thinking about group work is enough to get me worked up. I heard uni is more equal and they ensure that people at leas do their fair share...hope this is true...

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Sarah168 said:
I heard uni is more equal and they ensure that people at leas do their fair share...hope this is true...
Generally you choose your groups and at the end your get a peer assessment and you assess how every person helped with the assignment. Its a good system. But remember at uni you are treated like adults so your expected to work out any problems between the group. Most of the time there won't be problems because group work is such a large proportion of the overall mark for a subject.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Either a blessing or a curse. If you get an efficient group then you will have half as much work to do and you will probably do it in a quarter of the time.

7minute

HSC
Logistically, group work is more effort than an individual assignment and it sucks when you have "dead weights" on your group. And it sucks even more when everyone in the group gets the same mark, including the dw who did jack all. If it's any consolation, not doing any work will come back to bite the dw eventually. And eventually when you get out of school and uni, you'll be doing a lot of group work with colleagues out in the workforce. If you can cope with dw's in school, it's good practice for the future... they're always around!

7minute

HSC
True, but at the same time, that's not always possible. And I think that part of the reason schools like to give their students group assignments is to help them develop the skills they need to work sucessfully as a group. At uni, there are some people (not very many) that haven't done a lot of group work, and this can make it hard for them in some courses where there is a lot.

In the workplace you won't be able to do everything yourself... delegating, collaborating, organising, taking responsibility, negotiating etc; etc;... these are all skills required in group work and which employers rate very highly.

Zian64

A kitty carrier on a plane headed to Winmalee
HSC
I know how u feel, in my SDD ass at the moment, me and a friend have done all the work, literally, all the other guys have done is get a code from the help files. As for IPT, i did the most work by far and got the lowest mark ;( its really enough to piss you off

LiL_JeN_JeN

WTF is Goonie Goo Goo
HSC
What is SDD?? As soon as Im told Ill prolyl know...but anyways...
We used to get heaps of group work assesments when we were in the junior school, didnt bother me really, until I got into groups wher it was only myself and my bestie doin all the work, so to fix our group members, we would only write the names of people who actually contributed to some extent. That way, there was someone who didnt have something done and they would always get into trouble off our teacher. The teacher may then ask "Why wasnt *insert name here* 's name put on the assesment?" I would always say "Well, maybe if they had contributed something maybe their name would have been on it..." always works/worked.
I always found working in pairs to be so much better, unless you were paired with someone you do not get along with, because then there is no communication, and they end up chatting to their friends, while you get stuck doing all the work...and its far easier for them to realise their name isnt on the page when you hand it in!

Dimsimmer

Random User
HSC
Well, group work can be helpful if you are working with people that you get along well with and that they do their work and also do equally as much as the others. Otherwise, it wouldn't be very pleasant and you might find it too much of a hassle and find problems.

HSC
h8 group work... wok load is never shared evenly, theres always one person hu takes over completely n ders 2 many arguements... tell me 1 positive thing... the only one i no is dat u can get marks even if u do ZILCH!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)