Meaning of "Genii Loci" (1 Viewer)

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
What the hell is the meaning of it, im thinking its a place of significance, like maybe like uluru or something like that. a place that means something to some people.

Please enlighten me.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Genii Loci is a place of significant spiritual significance or the spirit of that place.

Eg.

"Uluru's Genii Loci is very important to the Aboriginal people."

the.quixotic

HSC
From http://www.anagnosis.gr/index.php?pageID=116&la=eng:

Local Spirits (genii loci)
The spirits which were believed to inhabit natural features of the landscape, such as springs and caves were the foundation of ancient religious belief. In many parts of Greece they have survived in folk belief into the twenty-first century.

Last edited:

bede007

HSC
The term "Genii Loci" is also a term found in Russian vernacular, and can be roughly translated as "Whale's Penis". Although this probably wasnt the intended meaning of Shirley Geok-lin Lim, unless she was writing some sort of bizarre absurdist peice. but i guess in this post structuralist world it can be infered as that. happy studying

HSC
bede007 said:
The term "Genii Loci" is also a term found in Russian vernacular, and can be roughly translated as "Whale's Penis". Although this probably wasnt the intended meaning of Shirley Geok-lin Lim, unless she was writing some sort of bizarre absurdist peice. but i guess in this post structuralist world it can be infered as that. happy studying
too much anchorman?

emily88

HSC
‘Genii’ plural of ‘genius’ meaning an exceptional and natural capacity for creative and original conceptions; the highest level of mental ability. ‘Loci’ plural of ‘locus’ meaning places or localities.

kc8989

HSC
mr_brightside said:
Genii Loci is a place of significant spiritual significance or the spirit of that place.
significant spiritual significance? hahaha
nice.

~LEAH~

HSC
:wave:Can anyone think of a nifty way to link Genii loci with the imaginative journey. Perhaps the impact of the physical venture on the imaginative... Please help me out.

FiveBobDowns

HSC
I know it was a while ago, but this might help you out. It's a one of the texts I'm studying for Inner Journeys, by Shirley Geok-lin Lim, called "The Town Where Time Stands Still". Here's an extract:
"Travellers through the centuries have threaded their baser motives of profit and pleasure with a subtler, and sometimes even unconscious, compulsion - the search for the genii loci. In the purer realm of travel, which has nothing to do with vacations, humans hope to be moved rather than to move. They seek an external geography that will act on their internal psychology like an irresistible force, so that they will return to the place from which they came blessed and altered."

nyadude

HSC
I get that the idea of the Genii Loci is a place of spiritual satisfaction, but is there like a detailed definition somewhere on the internet. :read:
ps: I just signed on today and think this website is AWESOME!:wave:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)