Mechanics with increasing mass and decreasing g. (1 Viewer)

Drsoccerball

HSC
How do we solve mechanics questions where mass changes and also g changes. For example a rocket entering a space cloud the g increases the closer you get and the mass of the rocket increases. Also shouldn't we work with variable g when doing any mechanics question in the vertical motion? How do we do these questions, are they examples of differential equations?

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
To sum it up nicely: The complexity of the mathematics involved is exponentially proportional to the number of dimensions/variables/whatever you have.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
How do we solve mechanics questions where mass changes and also g changes. For example a rocket entering a space cloud the g increases the closer you get and the mass of the rocket increases. Also shouldn't we work with variable g when doing any mechanics question in the vertical motion? How do we do these questions, are they examples of differential equations?

Last edited:

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Oooh oooh, I asked a question about this last year when doing Space.
My teacher ended up getting one of that maths teachers to derive the forumula for it so I'm fairly sure he used mechanics
It was before I learned calculus though, so I didn't understand it at the time

actually lol can anyone like, do it for me
Basically, an equation for the velocity of a rocket moving away from the Earth

At the very least I'm pretty sure it's possible (since the maths teacher did it)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Oooh oooh, I asked a question about this last year when doing Space.
My teacher ended up getting one of that maths teachers to derive the forumula for it so I'm fairly sure he used mechanics
It was before I learned calculus though, so I didn't understand it at the time

actually lol can anyone like, do it for me
Basically, an equation for the velocity of a rocket moving away from the Earth

At the very least I'm pretty sure it's possible (since the maths teacher did it)
I think I did something similar here for constant gravity: http://community.boredofstudies.org/18/physics/344618/hsc-physics-marathon-2016-a-4.html#post7069436

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)