Med at Adelaide (1 Viewer)

hotpot

HSC
Its just another word for an interview... not too different from most of the med interviews (apart from unsw).

I think adelaide had a couple of scenario Qs and define the following vocabs.... :sleep: Do some research on adelaide... i turned up to adelaide uni last year for the interview, wasnt really prepared and realise that there was a hospital right next to the uni... which you could use to impress the interviewers.

hotpot

HSC
didnt know until i rocked up 10 mins before hand >.< i rushed there from the monash interview which was the day before hand... farout all the interstate unis have their interviews so close

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
Moreover, does anybody know anything about the interview style for Adelaide? It calls it an "oral assessment"
It's semi-structured - the interviewers will go with the flow you dictate, and there are also scenario questions, of the kind - 'You are treating a terminal cancer patient, who wishes to forgo treatment to be at his daughter's wedding...' etc. I don't believe there is any vocab definition required (hotpot may be confusing it with Monash's detech section).

Personally, I don't see how you can impress them with noticing the hospital.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
the thing is.. there are lots of private school ppl in adelaide med.. and lots of kids have parents as doctors.. so we are still trying to figure the basis for that... infact lolz one of the kids has a dad who is the head of a dept at uni hospital for another university..

that incident was because one girl from a private school with a really 'big doctor' dad stirred up stuff and the parents didnt want their daughter to leave SA... it was my yr... shes in melb now... apparently shes pretty nice..

change in the method of assessment too
http://www.adelaide.edu.au/news/news14904.html
and The Australian too

Map:
http://www.adelaide.edu.au/campuses/maps2006/northtce.jpg.

ummm give a good personal reason about why Adelaide Medicine.. those are usually nice..

btw the hospital is not a state secret... and nor is it uncommon to have a large teachin hosp next to the uni.. see UNSW and Usyd..
please note.. that unless ure in level 2 or more.. u are likely to be staring at the dental hospital..

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
velox said:
Melb with 99.3? Must have got a killer umat.
*shrug* i dunno what she got.. back in my day u could still goto melb with 97 if u completely belted the UMAT

Spon888

HSC
This might possibly be in the wrong thread, but is the Dent interview also very similar to Medicine?

And for those that have visited Adelaide, whats it like? I'll be going down there sometime later in the year to check it out, but all I can gather is that its a rather organised place but with a small population and not many things to do. Also whats the Adelaide campus like? (esp compared with other Uni's?)

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
What is it that you are looking to do?

There is probably some place to do it, in Adelaide.

Sydney, Australia, Earth, Milky Way...............
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
*shrug* i dunno what she got.. back in my day u could still goto melb with 97 if u completely belted the UMAT
Hate to be a pest, but if my umat results go... score (percentile)
Section 1: 82 (100)
Section 2: 73 (100)
Section 3: 61 (87)
Then what kind of uai would I need for Melbourne? I heard they double weight section one? I'm quite keen on Melbourne; they don't have a stress-inducing interview :)

Now...I'm going to go further off-topic, but when do Monash give out interview offers? I hope with my umat that I would be likely to get one. I also hope that they tell me after Adelaide tell me when my interview is, so I can cross that date off too.

I know the interviews happen in December - but from what I've read on the site, the first week of December is for "special interviews". Mid- Dec would be great for me, cause then it won't clash with Adelaide at all...

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
u can change ure interview dates at various unis because u get one at another uni.. well u can when i did it.. cos i got offers at 3 unis all within 30 mins of each other.. and they were about 800km aparts

melb looks ok.. but i dunno? ud still need a high 99ish one.. cos frankly its pretty tough UAI wise to get into melb.. and it depends on the demand which changes each yr.. and also ifu have a rural past

jeremiahk

HSC
stella8h8chang said:
Hate to be a pest, but if my umat results go... score (percentile)
Section 1: 82 (100)
Section 2: 73 (100)
Section 3: 61 (87)
Thats 298 weighted score, which means you will probably DEFINATELY get UMAT stream, which means you need some shit score like 96. They give 25% of places to people who are top ranked by UMAT. With UMAT stream you can get a way way lower enter.

If you get a UMAT like that, you're pretty much in at melb, unless you fuck up hugely somehow.

dom001

HSC
N/A
jeremiahk said:
Thats 298 weighted score, which means you will probably DEFINATELY get UMAT stream, which means you need some shit score like 96.
From last year, 96.15 would have got a bonded place. For a full CSP, the cut-off was still 99.10 for the UMAT stream (99.75 for UMAT/ENTER stream and 99.90 for ENTER stream)

Antler

Custom User Title
HSC
Not true, that was only because the people with the high UMATs also had high TERs. If that person with 99.10 got 96.35 or 98.00 they still would have goten in.

vodkacrumble

shiftworker
HSC
keep in mind that the interview is there for a reason, scores on a bit of paper might prove you have mad skillz in exams but the interview will (hopefully) weed out the people that aren't suited in their personality, etc.

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
And every year people fall through both sides of the cracks.

jeremiahk

HSC
Yeah, ALOT of people, people who you'd think would surely get in, or deserve to get in. Its such a sad system, then you get fucks who you reckon don't deserve or shouldn't be there. But I guess for everyone its different, I'm not a selecter and not a doctor, so its easy for me to bitch and moan.

How they're gonna fix it or improve it I have no idea.

Sydney, Australia, Earth, Milky Way...............
HSC
Ok. Got a Monash interview. It is scheduled for December 8th and we didn't get a choice :S ...

Now the problem is, I told Adelaide I'd be free before Dec 2nd and between Dec 5th and 9th...and what if they clash? Adelaide said we had to apply for exemptions on dates before the 13th of October so it's already definitely gone in.

Has anyone had experience with this? Or do interstate universities collaborate (sounds unlikely...)?

I guess I'd give up Adelaide cause Monash gave the date first...? Since I've already informed them I doubt Adelaide would change yet again. Oh well...

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
call monash and see if they will change due to an earlier offer from adelaide.. i remember i had 3 in a row.. and i managed to get 2 of them to change..

they dun mind cos they want the best students not the most convenient timing ones

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)