med at melbourne (1 Viewer)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
hehe im not from victoria. Im an interstate studnet, same as you.
Section 2 theoretically has no right answer because you could take the stance of the devil's advocate and say "There is no such thing as an absolute set of values- interpersonal relationships are governed largely by our social and cultural background". But in the end you will realise that there is an answer which makes the most sense and explots the desirable attributes of a physician, no matter who you are.
For this, I would recommend you choose the answer which allows the patient to voice his/her concerns and does not place the doctor in an apparent position of authority. It should ultimately lead to the most expedient recovery for the patient.

Medical ethics is a grey area these days (eg as in the case of breach of confidentiality when a doctor told a clients wife that her husband had AIDS) so you should demonstrate to your interviewer that you like to keep abreast of all developments in legislation and demonstrate that you have thought about such issues at depth, and can sustain an aregument for aNy given side.

Finally about the closing dates, please look up the info yourself- surely its not too difficult to google it.

gbong

HSC
i jus thought if u were from victoria u wld kno betta bout the closing dates....... jus thought itd b a bit quicker :p doesnt matter..... fanx newayz

yeah wat state r u from den?

gbong

HSC
hey dats same as me.... umm so u tried out 4 several unis (i heard dat u cld apply for up to 10 or sth), does de order of preference matter whether u will finalli b able 2 get into dat uni or not? or does it ultimately come down to what marks u get in uai and umat etc?

inasero

Reborn
HSC
u can get several offers if you apply for several different admissions centres, and for the prefs, only put them down in the order which you would be willing to accept them...simple as that...everything else you dont have to worry about

AK Gumbi

Not a M-O-Derator
HSC
So gbong, ur interested in Med, huh? Well it's a long journey getting in and even a longer journey going through it so u definately have to be motivated which u look like u r.
Well, about the UMAT...i found it really hard actually. You can check out these sites if u want to find out info on the prep courses/help on UMAT:

http://www.medical-entrance.com.au/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/talk-umat/

http://www31.brinkster.com/umatbook

http://umat.flexihostings.net.au/forum/index.php?act=SF&f=4

Yeah, well personally, i found Sec1 the hardest by far, Sec2 was quite random, and i quite liked (and did well) in Sec3...but that's jus me.
My best advice is do a lot of Qs, whether u go to the courses (which i do recommend) or if u can get it off someone. The real trick is jus to practice, practice and practice (esp for Sec3).
And then after the UMAT, comes the interviews which i didint find too bad (and oh, yes apply to all unis around Aust. including to UQ (Uni of Queensland) because of their provisional entry program i don't think many ppl apply there for undergrad. Med. You can find out more info from http://www.som.uq.edu.au/som/Y12_overview.shtml. Oh and also apply for James Cook Uni - they dont take ur UMAT into consideration so should u not do that well in UMAT, u could still get a Med interview).
Well if u hav any more Qs feel free to pm me, and im sure inasero and I could answer some of ur Qs. :)

Last edited:

gbong

HSC
wah~ fanx ppls :D ..... i fink dats enouf to go on 4 now.... ill ask u guys agen later if i haf nemore questions

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by AK Gumbi
including to UQ (Uni of Queensland) because of their provisional entry program i don't think many ppl apply there for undergrad. Med.
That's because UQ doesn't have undergrad med. The provisional entry is for graduate medicine.

Did anyone get a late round offer for med? I have a few friends interstate who rejected UNSW med offers so there should be a few happy people today...

inasero

Reborn
HSC
nope...no such luck.
anyhows im happy, monash has a good med school

inasero

Reborn
HSC
no melbourne has the UMAT, ENTER, UMAT+ENTER stream...monash system is exactly the same as UNSW

AK Gumbi

Not a M-O-Derator
HSC
Yeah, but i think Monash's selection procedure is fairer than UNSW's (no im not having sour grapes :))

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Yeah Wilson you're right, just checked the websites. Monash doesn't even allow NRSL's to enter unless they haven't started a degree. No first year transfers... :(

Never mind, I can end up with B Sci LLB MBBS :D

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Yeah, but i think Monash's selection procedure is fairer than UNSW's (no im not having sour grapes )
yeah it is, after going to many interviews, i believe that by far UNSW was the worst interms of getting to understand you and your motives- plus they we're hard to talk to.
The interviewers I was assigned looked really tired, and obviously this would have affected their abaility to concentrate and sustain a conversation, hence the "lets get it over with i wanna go home" attitude. They had been there all day just interviewing candidates- imagine how fun that would be.

Monash interviwers on the other hand are only allowed to interview one candidate per day, so theres also elimination of bias there and assessment of a student's merits.

Lexi: you cant combine MBBS/LLB with BSci afaik, however you may combine it with BMedSci.

gbong

HSC
hey guys.... do u do de interview on ur own, or is it like wiv other ppl as well.... i mean i kno der's 2 ppl who ask u da questions, but how mani go for da interview at one time...... last time i thought my friend told me dat he was being interivewed wiv 2 other ppl .....

inasero

Reborn
HSC
youre interviewed personally...which means just u and the 2 interviewers are present in the room.

But i don't see y you should be freaking out at this stage when u haven't even got the interview...worry about it later i say and concentrate on your studies and UMAT.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)