med interview content (1 Viewer)

vodkacrumble

shiftworker
HSC
x-posted to general UNCLE forum

I did a quick search, but excuse the laziness for not being very thorough.

I basically am curious what sort of questions/topics are discussed in the Newie and/or UWA medicine interview?
I remember chatting to a chick who started 1st year at UNCLE in 2004 and she said there were a few catch 22 questions.

eg: parents come to you with a child with DD and there is an experiemental treatment available that could either make the child's condition better or worse - but the child needs to undergo treatment now or it won't effective.
if you say you'd tell them to go with the treatment the child ends up worse, if you say not to go ahead it is discovered that the treatment would have worked but now it's too late.

thanks for any responses. i'm thinking of applying this year (to defer and start 2008). just have to work my booty off at uni this year and get my GPA up to 6.0/6.5

Soldier

HSC
On medstudentsonline.com go to getting into medicine > interview there is a website in the forum that has hundreds of questions.

Just curious what UAI did you get?

vodkacrumble

shiftworker
HSC
thanks for the tip :)

UAI in 2002 = 67.70 ;)

my STAT was awesome and i'll get my GPA up if it kills me (last year of uni, wheeee!)

Soldier

HSC
A competitive UAI for medicine is 99.00. Even after you've completed some tertiary education I think it'll be difficult for you to gain entry into medicine.

vodkacrumble

shiftworker
HSC
i'm in my final year at uni, and i know that they'll go by my uni GPA (+ UMAT, interview, STAT) and not my UAI.

vodkacrumble

shiftworker
HSC
taken from the Newcastle B. Med handbook info:

"Non school leavers and previous Australian Year 12 students
Apply for entry through UAC, register to sit the Undergraduate Medicine and Health Sciences Admissions Test (UMAT) , apply directly to the University and attend an interview if required.
Entry based on:

• previous Year 12 studies or Higher education qualifications or overseas qualifications considered equivalent to Australian qualifications.
  • Results of UMAT and interview."

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
Soldier said:
A competitive UAI for medicine is 99.00. Even after you've completed some tertiary education I think it'll be difficult for you to gain entry into medicine.
That's a bit harsh.

vodkacrumble

shiftworker
HSC
funnybunny said:
why not just try out for grad med @ syd uni?
because i have no chance of passing the GAMSAT!! the extra year would help me build on my current knowledge.

plus i like Newcastle :)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
vodkacrumble said:
i hope you're not referring to me, young man... ;)

man, it's nearly my birthday and i am so old :'(
of course not :)

it was in reference to the UAI = 99.00 comment..

btw u wont be the oldest at UNCLE even if u enter at this stage.. and i think the perk is.. ull have a head start on clinical skills and hospital experience.

and ure not that old.. im having mine in 6mths :p and we are the same age lolz

Sepulchres

t3h sultan
HSC
Soldier said:
LOL wtf.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
they are young... forgive their naivity..
It seems that almost everyone in med is a hag/crone or decrepit old male...

Vodka, why is the question you cited a case of catch-22?

lala2

Banned
HSC
Estel said:
It seems that almost everyone in med is a hag/crone or decrepit old male...
cos med takes the energy out of its students? the dux of the year above me at our school was really pretty and fair at the end of the HSC in 2004, but when I saw her at the end of last year, she looked really dark, haggard, and as though she'd just fallen out of bed. geezz...medicine.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
lala2 said:
cos med takes the energy out of its students? the dux of the year above me at our school was really pretty and fair at the end of the HSC in 2004, but when I saw her at the end of last year, she looked really dark, haggard, and as though she'd just fallen out of bed. geezz...medicine.
And there was thinking that it was just my poor lifestyle...

but in REALITY its MEDICINES FAULT!!!!

yeah we are all condescending.. i think its to do with the number of egos u end up dealin with... patients, other medics and allied health...

beentherdunthat

HSC
Can any previous med students give some sample med interview questions. I read through aussiechica's posts. The sample questions are very good. And I went through medstudentsonline.com however, in some threads people went straight off the topic hehe.

I understand if none of the current applicants would like to help out, but it'll really be helpful if someone provided just a basis of the questions.

I also read that UNSW give intrusive questions... ?

(I'm not doing the interview, my friend got one and we're trying to help him out as much as we can. )

kloudsurfer

HSC
Soldier said:
That is incorrect.

At UNCLE and UWS the minimum UAI reqirement is simply a threshold. Once you pass it, selection is based on umat and interview. UAI plays no part in final selection, therefore someone with a UAI of 94 has the same chance as someone with a UAI of 100. Therefore you do not need a UAI of 99 to be competitive in medicine.
I know someone who got into UWS with 94.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
beentherdunthat said:
I also read that UNSW give intrusive questions... ?
Yeah, I think the idea there is to see how you deal with stress. They ask you a question which puts you on the spot and makes you deal with a diffictul/sensitive issue and they see whether you keep your cool and work with it, or stress out and have trouble generating a reasonable reply.

vodkacrumble said:
I remember chatting to a chick who started 1st year at UNCLE in 2004 and she said there were a few catch 22 questions.

eg: parents come to you with a child with DD and there is an experiemental treatment available that could either make the child's condition better or worse - but the child needs to undergo treatment now or it won't effective.
if you say you'd tell them to go with the treatment the child ends up worse, if you say not to go ahead it is discovered that the treatment would have worked but now it's too late.
I had that question and I decided to go with the treatment, only to find out that it made things worse. The important question, in my opinion, came afterwards when they asked - placed in that same situation (with your child or someone elses and the same drug data) would you make the same decision?

As far as I can tell it tested your ability to make rational decisions and avoid the gambler's fallacy (i.e. thinking a certain method worked/failed once in the past, therefore it must work/fail again!). Shody decision making rooted in emotions from past success/failure leads to dangerous outcomes --> our intuitions aren't built to deal with infinitesimal or enourmous figures (that where statistics become useful).

Anyhow, to me it seems that your first decision tested clinical decision making and ethical justification for your choice, whereas the second one (in my case) looked more closely at rationality/reasoning skills.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)