med sci unsw (1 Viewer)

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
So is anyone transferring into med sci at unsw for that new deal where you can slot in to the undergrad cohort in yr 4? Im not sure if I should....

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
I personally would not. At this stage, anyway.
Year 4 would be your grad year or so anyway so it'd make just as much sense (apart from sense of security) to finish a med sci degree and apply for postgrad med.

black_raven777

HSC
Well, here's my plan:

Do the three year med sci course at UNSW, Sit GAMSAT and apply for USyd, UWollongong, and if you don't get in, 1 year of honours and go into 4th year of UNSW - just gives you one extra avenue so I'm going for it

The only problem is - 4 years and no med course, what then? - So I'm tempted by the UNSW Biomed Engineering option

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Where is the information on this?
Haven't heard anything about this. Sounds like UNSW admitting defeat on its crummy curriculum.

TimmyDD

HSC
hey guys,

i do med sci at unsw at the moment. we had a presentation given to us as we would be the 'pilot year' for the new lateral entry scheme. however i wouldnt get ur hopes up on getting in this way, they are only accepting approx. 10 students each year from the entire med sci course based on WAM, umat and interview.

dont put all ur eggs in this basket.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Estel said:
Sounds like UNSW admitting defeat on its crummy curriculum.
Indeed... but at least we will have superior reflection skills!

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
KFunk said:
Indeed... but at least we will have superior reflection skills!
hahah how will those lateral entry catch up on that huh? :p

srsly tho
ummmm why is UNSW bring in a lateral entry program? given that almost all other med schools have just abolished them?
any more info that this? cos im wondering if they need AMC approval too?

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
I'm assuming if a pilot program is running then at least provisional approval has been given??

I get the feeling UNSW is adopting an innovation-in-education front, we've had some talk of integration/collaboration with specialty colleges in future... Have I talked to you about this? Maybe. I can't remember. Our dean presented at Grand Rounds a while back on a few things of similar nature...

TimmyDD

HSC
umm the AMC is sitting (this week actually) to decide whether to approve tha lateral entry scheme, however, and take this as you will, they strongly "suggested" that the pilot year (med sci 2006 entry) be given a short presentation on how it all works.

its a chance to integrate a more 'science' feel into medicine, the only other med course that is running is the arts/med....so i guess UNSW wanted to bring science back into it...

plus it gives a chance to those who didnt do as well wen applying to get into unsw med to start off with.

watch unsw's med science UAI shoot through the roof.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
i think thats the thing.. do u want ppl goin to UNSW just cos of the chance?... or because they genuinely think its a great med sc course..

im not condoning one over another.. but it can lead to gross misperceptions.. but then the UAI scores never help..

I guess i cant talk.. because adelaide does this with full fee and MRBS and bonded places..
but u dun get lateral entry nor credit.. u just start from yr 1..

TimmyDD

HSC
yeah thats the thing...

the med sci course is a very good course with excellent resources for anyone who wants to undertake a career in research.

but everyone who does it just wantd to do med.

i cant really talk tho...haha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)