Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
yeah, I am.

I'm pretty sure spice girl said he was.

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
Those who got into medicine: You did UMAT and passed the test and interview?

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
I don't know if there is a 'pass' as such...at UNSW we're ranked according to our performance in all three areas, and they're weighted equally.

So in answer to your question...yeah, I suppose I did.

Do you want to do med?

CHUDYMASTER

HSC
I'm certainly interested. I feel I'm upto the UAI requirements, although I am aware that the university can raise it well above 95. On the topic of which, what UAI did you get?

Was the UMAT very difficult? I've got the past workshop manuals from NIE 2002. (btw, is there a maths section? A friend says there is, but the NIE booklets have no questions on maths)

Any comments on the interview stage?

Overall, do you know the statistics for successful Med applications at UNSW?
And if I fail to get into medicine straight off, do I just have to do a medical science post-graduate course for an extra year than you? (and of course, repeat years until I pass the GAMSAT test...wait does the GAMSAT test only apply for Usyd?)

Ahh, I'm full of questions, but I need some straight answers. Your input would be appreciated ;)

Thanks.

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
No, the UMAT was fine. There is no maths section as such, just a subsection of really easy mathematical reasoning in the first logic section. If you're an extension 1 or 2 student it should be easy for you. As long as you have practice questions, you should be able to do it no problem. I think i did a total of 45 minutes study for the thing in between school and home on the train one afternoon. Just familiarise yourself at the types of questions, and practise answering them quickly.

The interview stage...well I only applied for UNSW, so I can't talk about interviews in general. Any specific questions?

Stats...well last year over 3000 applicants locally...300 first round interviews for 160 local places, 220 undergraduate places overall this year.

My UAI was 99.85.

Yes, you are right about the science-related course. But that's jsut to get into undergraduate med. Many people do med sciecne, althogh I'm not sure if that's wise becuase most people doing the course are only doing it to transfer, so the competition's very fierce.

The GAMSAT applies for all universities that offer medicine to graduates. So sydney uni would be among them. but many other universities recognise GAMSAT - it's just the graduate version of UMAT, although the exam is very different. you only have to do the GAMSAT if you have completed a degree (not done one year of one, and want to transfer) and want to get into medicine.

hope that helps.

CHUDYMASTER

HSC
3000 and only 300 local interviewees?! I take it you were reeled in on the basis of percentile in the state?

Hmm, I won't bother you with details on the interview...yet. But yeah, overall, that was good, thanks for the info.

EDIT: misread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)