Medical Physics Option? WTF!?! (1 Viewer)

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Originally posted by Ragerunner
For CAT I talked about how X-rays were produced by changing the kinetic energy to electromagnetic radiation when it hit the anodes and decelerates.

For PET I talked how an electron is a 'matter', a positron is an 'anti matter', they both collides produce gamma rays with the equation

e + e = 2 gamma

etcc.... blabbered on for 3 pages.
good work.. i blabbered on too.. but i did 4 pages:p

Shoey

Yeah, I caught the 'display' bit at the end of that 8-marker just in time as well.

With the bone density, the properties I put down were:
1. Different velocity in materials of different density.
2. Different attenuation in materials of different density

both of which are measured in bone density testing.

Testing PET was sorta inevitable, since as far as I know it hasn't really been examined in the last two years. But only 1 mark for MRI!! Could have saved myself from many hours spent banging head into desk. Stupid BOS.

Bepps

wasnt the first one mri? oh, i dont know. I did what ragerunner did. What do you think you'll getout of 8 if you didnt mention the CRo, display, stupid thing i forgot to mention?

~TeLEpAtHeTiC~

Aesthetically Challenged
HSC
damn it.... i took display as meaning WHAT the machine does to display the images as in ... electron/positron collision in PET... i didn't talk about how the machine physically displays the images..damn it
hmm hope i was right :p
lol doubt it but... alot of u rekon cro/crt and it seems like the probable answer
my estimate 6/8 (rekon the display mark was worth 2 marks)
anyways good luck everyone

~TeLEpAtHeTiC~

Aesthetically Challenged
HSC
Originally posted by Bepps
SO DID I TELEPATHETIC!! So did i. Do u think the marking guidlines will be that tough??
lol i hope not... they better not..cause to me... no offence to anyone else but i thought why the hell would they ask how the pix are physically displayed..i mean this is so obvious it doesn't require skill...as opposed to understading the processing going into bringing the picture up on the screen..i did mention the grey scales but only in my comparision between X-ray/CAT and PET..
hmm.. i dont know..then again..me and u beeps could be totally wrong lol

either way i think i did pretty damn good seeing as though.. i changed from geophysics to medical physics on tuesday :p
good luck ppl

Inhuman

HSC
ergh I forgot to mention how X-rays are produced from electrons... but I did mention how semi-conductors with electron-hole stuff allowed us to make computers to collate the images so hopefully that'll get me something

tegs

Originally posted by Squirrel
what properties of ultrasound make it suitable for finding bone density ?????????
Ultrasound uses acoustic impedence,
acounstic impedence is found by velocity x density.
If the densities low, all you need is a known reflection value for say muscle to bone, and if it's different, then you'll know that there's a problem with the density.

tegs

It's interesting how everyones seen something different. I think they'll award points for all personally.
I wrote about how the displays are created, not about pixels or anything, I didn't really see the point.

Originally posted by Inhuman
ergh I forgot to mention how X-rays are produced from electrons... but I did mention how semi-conductors with electron-hole stuff allowed us to make computers to collate the images so hopefully that'll get me something
Thats a clever way of skewing the question when you didn't know the answer! Good on you! They should give u marks, even if it's not what they originally wanted, it still answers the question.

rushworld

HSC
I'm still trying to find the 8 mark question on MRI's :( IMO they talked wayyyy too much about PET's *sigh*

Inhuman

HSC
Originally posted by tegs
Thats a clever way of skewing the question when you didn't know the answer! Good on you! They should give u marks, even if it's not what they originally wanted, it still answers the question.
The annoying thing is that I DO know how electrons produce X-rays, it was the 2nd Q in the option, but in the exam I got really hung up on the display part and ignored how PET and CT actually use electrons themselves.
Oh well... 5 down 2 to go

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)