Medical Science - 2nd Year units (1 Viewer)

Solution

BoS Revolutionary
HSC
N/A
Hello.

I am currently undertaking a Bachelor of Medical Science at USyd and despite being really interested with the medical science 2nd year units, I have heard that they scale down terribly and I'm just thinking of what to do since GPA will be mainly important for me in 2nd and 3rd year. I may possibly transfer to Bachelor of Science (Advanced) since it offers more flexibility and that apparently there are units similar to the medical science 2nd year units, except they don't have bitchy scaling.

moocow920

HSC
I don't have an answer but if anyone answers original OP could they explain why second year med sci units scale so badly? And does second year plain science scale badly too?

AnimeX

HSC
N/A
is there scaling at only usyd? how about unsw? (anyone care to explain?)

NB: OP soz for hijacking thread but a bit curious.

Solution

BoS Revolutionary
HSC
N/A

There is for both - just make your own thread please.

lawstu

HSC
I shouldn't exactly be telling you this but 'scaling' is moderating to a specific distribution. There is no harshness or leniency to a statistical algorithm or phenomenon.

However, the policies that stipulate that there are only so many of a particular grade may be harsh or lenient. The main problem is you guys who complain probably aren't hard-working enough, smart enough and/or lucky enough. Often, in each cohort of the B.Med.Sci., which has pooled classes (and one of the worst pools at that), there are, like, three individuals who earn a a number of Hs, thus depriving the others of those grades, even if they were to deserve them simply because grading is on a curve, you relative to another student, and not on the basis of raw marks.

You made your bed by choosing B.Med.Sc., and now you either lay in it or get out as soon as you can before you kiss medical school or your future goodbye haha!

If you want to game the system, really do transfer out of the B.Med.Sci. and do a B.Sc. or B.Sc.(Adv.).

Last edited:

lawstu

HSC

UNSW has scaling but my impression and experience makes me think that convenors are a little more flexible and generous and the policy is a little less harsh.

Solution

BoS Revolutionary
HSC
N/A
I shouldn't exactly be telling you this but 'scaling' is moderating to a specific distribution. There is no harshness or leniency to a statistical algorithm or phenomenon.

However, the policies that stipulate that there are only so many of a particular grade may be harsh or lenient. The main problem is you guys who complain probably aren't hard-working enough, smart enough and/or lucky enough. Often, in each cohort of the B.Med.Sci., which has pooled classes (and one of the worst pools at that), there are, like, three individuals who earn a a number of Hs, thus depriving the others of those grades, even if they were to deserve them simply because grading is on a curve, you relative to another student, and not on the basis of raw marks.

You made your bed by choosing B.Med.Sc., and now you either lay in it or get out as soon as you can before you kiss medical school or your future goodbye haha!

If you want to game the system, really do transfer out of the B.Med.Sci. and do a B.Sc. or B.Sc.(Adv.).
Thanks for the advice Lawstu :)

I'm not necessarily complaining about the scaling but I'm more so just concerned about working hard and not getting the grades I deserve due to what you said above and the last thing I need is a mediocre GPA/WAM.

lawstu

HSC
Thanks for the advice Lawstu :)

I'm not necessarily complaining about the scaling but I'm more so just concerned about working hard and not getting the grades I deserve due to what you said above and the last thing I need is a mediocre GPA/WAM.
I understand that too. The course and the system smacks of inequity and injustice.

Seriously, though, a B.Med.Sci. is pretty shitty preparation for medical school admissions tests and medical school. If it's even any good, it's only, as you would know, part of the way. To borrow apply game theory to this, and I don't mean to dissuade you from the course, a course leading to the award of a B.Med.Sci. isn't going to be much good unless you either do further study or settle (it sounds like, at least for you, settling; by the sound of things, you're probably a bright little bikkie).

You may be upending your world and screwing up things with your folks, coursemates, friends, etc., but you've identified a problem with the B.Med.Sci. that could - or perhaps not - affect your chances into graduate medical or dental programmes. What comes first? I'd probably say doing what's best for you (here, it's not gaming the system as much as it's reducing your risk of being screwed by it) than the rest. While doing a B.Sc./(Adv.), you can ever do things that interest you or give you breadth. Perhaps try some of those easy-as-piss arts subjects (e.g., art history), though YMMV and it depends.

:)

Solution

BoS Revolutionary
HSC
N/A
I understand that too. The course and the system smacks of inequity and injustice.

Seriously, though, a B.Med.Sci. is pretty shitty preparation for medical school admissions tests and medical school. If it's even any good, it's only, as you would know, part of the way. To borrow apply game theory to this, and I don't mean to dissuade you from the course, a course leading to the award of a B.Med.Sci. isn't going to be much good unless you either do further study or settle (it sounds like, at least for you, settling; by the sound of things, you're probably a bright little bikkie).

You may be upending your world and screwing up things with your folks, coursemates, friends, etc., but you've identified a problem with the B.Med.Sci. that could - or perhaps not - affect your chances into graduate medical or dental programmes. What comes first? I'd probably say doing what's best for you (here, it's not gaming the system as much as it's reducing your risk of being screwed by it) than the rest. While doing a B.Sc./(Adv.), you can ever do things that interest you or give you breadth. Perhaps try some of those easy-as-piss arts subjects (e.g., art history), though YMMV and it depends.

:)
I do agree with you on how it isn't very good for medical school admissions tests (I wouldn't know about medical school!) apart from the 1st year science units you have to learn which could've been done in a Bachelor of Science/B.Sc(Adv). Yeah, I'm trying to think of what move will give me the best chances despite having to leave my fellow Med Sci friends at university and having to argue with my father that this is a good move (Whether he agrees or not does not matter but it will be troublesome). I am not willing to jeopardise my competitive standing in the future and I've contacted the faculty as well as drawing up the pros and cons of transferring (Very few cons relative to the pros).

YES! That is one of the main things that attracts me to Bachelor of Science (Adv) - its flexibility. Medical science is very structured and despite the core units being the things I am interested in anyways, I feel that I can study 'different' subjects that will be useful to me in terms of developing the essential skills for GAMSAT ie. Arts subjects rather than doing just pure science ie. 1/3 of GAMSAT. I will save those easy arts subjects for 2nd and 3rd year where my uni grades matter the greatest.

Thanks A LOT for the advice Lawstu, you have no idea how much this clears things up for me :)

Also, I assume you did medicine (from your signature) - if so, where?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)