Medical Science and GAMSAT (1 Viewer)

sydneyphoenix

HSC
N/A
For entry into Medicine through GAMSAT, does studying medical science as your first degree help in getting required marks for GAMSAT?
I had a look at program for Medicine in Sydney and UNSW and they seem to have similar component to Medical Science during first three year, so I guess they are relevant, but how much of an advantage does Medical Science Graduate have over someone, who studied different branch of science, or even humanities?

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Not much. It shouldn't matter, since there is a humanities component also. Do a degree that you will enjoy.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
yep i agree :)

but make sure u complete some 1st yr science subjects as then u dun realli need to rush so much for GAMSAT..
u can do tat from an arts degree.

i think with choosing a pre-med degree make sure it can be useful to u even if u change ure mind ...

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
i think with choosing a pre-med degree make sure it can be useful to u even if u change ure mind ...
Second that. You might not make med, so do a degree that you can use should that happens.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
i just heard a weird story of a friend who tried for med. He deferred a year after one semester of med sci. Then came back to uni, failed (2nd year, passed 1st - basically dropped out now), and now is thinking about doing a business degree but his parents wont let him. So essentially he's wasted 3 years of his life completely and has no direction either. His parents would kill him if he did a business degree after all he's done.

Yeah anyway, moral of the story is... <fill in yourself :D>

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
here's another story, a friend of a friend got 99.95. Did med sci, hated it but parents made her go for med. Got top marks anyway, did gamsat, failed interview and can't get in through undergrad coz of the interview. Now she's left with a med sci degree but she's not even interested in med.
So do whatever you think you'll be good at/interested in

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
so? ppl dun usually want to move out of state.. if its not their dream..

altho an useful degree would be B.Nursing for Pre-Med
cos it teachs both sciences and clinical skills.. and a thorough understanding of primary care :)

and ure guaranteed work too

crystal_meth_au

HSC
Any health degree will give you the knowledge to pass the GAMSAT, as it is more logical and ethical questions rather than anything specific, you cant really study for it.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
If your only interest in BMedSc is getting through GAMSAT, I say in all earnest DON'T DO IT.

You will more likely than not hate the course, and that will reflect on everything you do related to it (including GAMSAT and interviews). Choose something you enjoy, even if it has absolutely nothing to do with Medicine or health science/care. You WILL be better off, and you DON'T need to do those science units at uni to get the knowledge.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
of course, if you're not entirely interested in med and do some other course not related to it, then it'll be easy to get sidetracked and forget about medicine. Double edged sword. Do med sci if you want to put all your eggs in one basket because a med sci degree will help alot for knowledge in medicine (not to get into). Whereas a commerce degree will waste your time, but you can go into commerce if you dont do med etc.

omg, there have been so many threads like this... it's like deja vu

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I don't agree with the sentiment that an unrelated degree is a "waste of time". Knowledge outside medicine is never wasted, even if it is not directly applied. You may use it in as simple a way as "getting it" when an overworked accountant comes to talk to you, or perhaps something more directly relevant to your practice as bookkeeping and records management, tax refundable expenses etc (most doctors really do need a LOT of help with these things). Even my foray into nanotechnology had huge benefits, because now I have the basic skills I need to talk to my lecturers etc on a scientific level, rather than simply as a protodoc trying to scrape the bare minimum knowledge I need to treat patients.

No, there is no such thing as wasted degree when pursuing medicine. Just be open to the idea that you may not be directly applying the knowledge and skills you gain at every turn.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
politik said:
Im planning on doing BMedSci at UNSW, then applying for MBBS after I graduate. So from what you guys have said, I shouldnt bother? I dont want to do BMedSci, but I want to have the knowledge to pass the entry exam right?
if you want to do graduate medicine, don't bother doing Medical Science. This degree is for people who wants to go on to do Honours and PhD and to become a researcher. :)

You're better off doing a B Science. You get to choose whatever you want to do.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Lexicographer said:
If your only interest in BMedSc is getting through GAMSAT, I say in all earnest DON'T DO IT.
I agree with Lex :) Do it because you want to become a researcher. If not, seriously re-consider.

Cab31

HSC
What the hell? I read someone post that a person "failed the interview". How can you fail an interview!! Obviously you just werent what they were looking for! I doubt anyone that actually got an interview was that appalling that they stamped a big fat fail on their file! lol!

Anyways what i wanted to ask you guys was when you are doing the GAMSAT, i have heard that you can do it every year and get an interveiw but like defer the interveiw until before you finish your degree. (I am doing a 5 year dual degree but am interested in doing grad med). I have only done one year of my course but i would like to prepare earlyish for it. Especially considering that although i have done chemistry this year at uni, as well as biomechanics (which covered most of the physics), so i dont want it to get too far into the back of my mind (or out one of my ears!!)

Yeah so any help you guys could give me would be appreciated. No one i know is doing Med Science or anything so i dont know much about how i go about it.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
GAMSAT scores are only valid for two years, the year you sit the GAMSAT and the one immediately after.

No different to the UMAT really, except there's no age/scholastic restrictions on who can apply to sit the exam.

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
is there any sample gamsat questions anywhere??.....also i'm doing med science, thinking of doing b of med after, if it works out, if not, it's always an advantage to have a degree on hand, but i think if you really are interested in science then you should chose a science degree, it is an advantage to have more knowledge about medicine and science before jumping straight to the medicine degree methinks, i mean in med science, you're gaining the foundation medicine subjects so it will help, just have to be patient about it, cos med isnt a shopping spree, you have to be dedicated, and might have no social life for a while, even in med science theres all stuff that need concentration n hard work to pass as i'm finding.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)