medical science vs. commerce (1 Viewer)

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
okay, so im going to uni next year, and have no clue as to what career i want to pursue in the future! i have a month left to apply, and im stuck between a few degrees.. particularly medical science and commerce.

i really wanted to do medical science, because this is what interests me, but i've heard that you cant really get a job out of it, and that the purpose of the course is for people wanting to do postgrad degrees in medicine, dentistry etc. does this mean that if i do med science, i wont be able to get a job as a medical scientist (etc) when im done? Also, medical science at macquarie uni has a psychology major in it... if i were to do this, does this mean i would be able to undertake a 2 year grad dip in psychology afterwards and register as a psychologist? or is the medical science degree not enough? is it possible to get any jobs out of just doing a medical science degree?

on the other hand, i was thinking about doing commerce or business. it doesnt interest me like med science does, but at least i can get a job out of it after i finish. what kind of jobs can a graduate start off with? what jobs can they get into after many years of experience?

i was hoping that people could share the positives and negatives of each degree, especially from the unis in the sydney area? and just some advice that could help me choose a degree or a career path would be nice too. btw, gap years or TAFE or other colleges arent an option for me, i want to get stuck straight into uni. please no stupid comments like "theyre both crap, do something else" or "work it out for urself or you'll get nowhere" etc.

thanks to the people who help out :)

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
okay, so im going to uni next year, and have no clue as to what career i want to pursue in the future! i have a month left to apply, and im stuck between a few degrees.. particularly medical science and commerce.

i really wanted to do medical science, because this is what interests me, but i've heard that you cant really get a job out of it, and that the purpose of the course is for people wanting to do postgrad degrees in medicine, dentistry etc. does this mean that if i do med science, i wont be able to get a job as a medical scientist (etc) when im done? Also, medical science at macquarie uni has a psychology major in it... if i were to do this, does this mean i would be able to undertake a 2 year grad dip in psychology afterwards and register as a psychologist? or is the medical science degree not enough? is it possible to get any jobs out of just doing a medical science degree?

on the other hand, i was thinking about doing commerce or business. it doesnt interest me like med science does, but at least i can get a job out of it after i finish. what kind of jobs can a graduate start off with? what jobs can they get into after many years of experience?

i was hoping that people could share the positives and negatives of each degree, especially from the unis in the sydney area? and just some advice that could help me choose a degree or a career path would be nice too. btw, gap years or TAFE or other colleges arent an option for me, i want to get stuck straight into uni. please no stupid comments like "theyre both crap, do something else" or "work it out for urself or you'll get nowhere" etc.

Don't do psychology you can't get a job
Commerce is dodgey don't do it

Do biomed and get involved in research into old people - thats where the money will be

HSC
N/A
Both are very broad areas of study..
unlike say dentistry, there is no pre-defined career path..
If you want to combine commerce and psychology, mabye take a look at marketing?
I'd stay away from clinical psychology
Whatever you do, your going to have to be good at it, and actually interested in order to get 'a job'.
I'd suggest doing, atleast for the first year, a broad degree that lets you choose electives from the science/medical/commerce faculties. See what you like/do well in, then specialize from there.

HSC
if you just wanted commerce and psychology...
sydney has a combined degree of bachelor of commerce/bachelor of arts. in arts you could major in psychology.

jest3r

HSC

Chances are, if you don't find the course you're doing interesting or motivating, you'll either fail and drop out, or press on and eventually graduate with a mediocre GPA, only to find yourself competing against the next guy/girl who graduated with his/her degree with distinction average for the job at firm x. This is especially the case for starting off a career in business. Though not saying that you necessarily need a distinction average to get a decent job. So the question you should ask yourself in deciding between medical science and commerce...are you're prepared to commit yourself to ~3 years of something you think you're not really interested in? Also, out of the two, which degree is best suited to your strengths? otherwise, come down to wollongong uni and you can do both simultaneously.

mr_robato

HSC

Just get a cheap BA because dentistry requires a minimum bachelors degree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)