• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Medicine at otago (1 Viewer)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
i applied to UWA and got in...but thats because I was blessed with good UMAT and UAI marks...Lexi got in with very good UMAT marks...it might be a bit difficult to say from personal experience how far average UMAT and UAI marks will take you

Adelaide is quite easy to gain entrance into as with Monash to a lesser extent, so you might want to try applying for those.

At the end of the day my advice is to apply to as many places as possible because you never know if you will make it! Well, at least thats what I did hehe.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hmm UWA isn't particularly easy at all, ESPECIALLY for foreigners (ie interstate students :p). I make it look and sound easy, but I only got in because (and I am dead serious about this) God intervened. SEVEN individual people in my selection category (non-standard, the most competitive) passed up on their offers before it reached me. It's more or less a safe statement to say that this DOES NOT happen.

Anyway, I might as well elaborate on the difficulty of interstate applicants. Of the entire cohort, I have been told only two interstate students made it in. This may only be in the non-standard category, but so far I've only actually MET one other person (a Boys boy, Howard) and he's Dentistry (school leaver at that). Regarding UAI/TERs, they are pretty much the same standard as the other "didactic" schools (97+) and UMATs, well, nobody really talks about them and you can't easily remember performance. People here are impressed by mine though, almost as much as by my UAI. :p

Sigh. I guess the take home message is just because UWA is so far away, don't expect it to be of any lower standard. UWA has been the sole Medical school for pretty much this entire half of the country forever, and it's done a bloody good job. ;)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
actualli med school UAI avg is 98+ from AMSA.. there isnt one for just diadactic..

go to an "easy" school... and ull become a doctor..
go to a "hard" school..... and ull become a doctor..

"easy" schools still hav kids which got into "harder" schools but these were closer... so ull still get caned :) but the social environment are different between schools..

inasero

Reborn
HSC
yeah exactly what he^ said...the difficulty of entry into a university is nor indicative of its quality of teaching not quality of students...

i guess you asked in the first place because you wanted to know where to apply

the answer is in the "interstate guide to medicine" i created...have a look there

arsalchemia

HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
i kno a guy who was in otago..
he was trying for dent/med
he got good marks but 2 yrs in a row he was on waiting list..
what do you mean a 'waiting list' ??

arsalchemia

HSC
I'm probably going to Otago this year for the First Year Health Sciences. I need a B (70%) average with no marks lower than a B- and a certain UMAT score/percentile they decided to keep quiet about. It's at least top 25 percentile for physio, dent, and medical lab science but THEY SAY NOTHING ABOUT MED. I can't find it anywhere.

Sigh to the maximum.

mystic angel

HSC
Hey, i’m also planning to go to Otago this year for health science first year. Because UMAT accounts for 34% hopefully you don’t need a HUGE amount. However, that said I guess that depends on the competition. I know a person who got in with a umat score between 150-160.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
arsalchemia said:
what do you mean a 'waiting list' ??
wow.. old post.. but he was basically just outside the GPA cut off from the HSFY for dentistry.. so he just went with health sciences till he was in 3rd yr.. hes now.. 1 yr out from being a dentist

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
arsalchemia said:
I'm probably going to Otago this year for the First Year Health Sciences. I need a B (70%) average with no marks lower than a B- and a certain UMAT score/percentile they decided to keep quiet about. It's at least top 25 percentile for physio, dent, and medical lab science but THEY SAY NOTHING ABOUT MED. I can't find it anywhere.

Sigh to the maximum.
Be sure to sit umat this year, because it lasts for two years and yeh if you get a crap result this year you can try again next year. Also consider doing a prep course.

rickyvong

HSC
Hey whos going to otago next year? (as in 2009) to do health science first year

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
rickyvong said:
Hey whos going to otago next year? (as in 2009) to do health science first year
One of my friends did last year, haven't heard from her since, serves her right for going to sha-bang-a-bang land. :uhhuh: It's a huge financial burden and risk to go there to do health sciences for a year then trying to get into med, dent, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)