medicine/dentistry? (1 Viewer)

bmwz4

HSC
hey i was just wondering which universities that offer med/dentistry need paper applications to be completed and sent to them i know uws and unsw and newcastle need them, any others or all of them need it?

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
JCU also needs it, and i'm currently in the (hurried) process of filling it out. It's similar to the unsw form, but a bit longer and more complicated/in-depth to answer.

bmwz4

HSC
ssejamafone said:
JCU also needs it, and i'm currently in the (hurried) process of filling it out. It's similar to the unsw form, but a bit longer and more complicated/in-depth to answer.
ive applied everywhere except JCU, bond, and western australia and i dont wanna go NZ...ive been checking other unis dont need application forms UNSW type ones like griffith etc

:)

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
bmwz4 said:
ive applied everywhere except JCU, bond, and western australia and i dont wanna go NZ...ive been checking other unis dont need application forms UNSW type ones like griffith etc

:)
lol, i've also applied everywhere but usyd, bond, western aus, and northern territory.... but my dad will probably force me to apply for every one of these unis as well. TT_TT

have you applied to Tas? 95 uai and NO INTERVIEW!!!!!!!!! :eek:

bmwz4

HSC
ssejamafone said:
lol, i've also applied everywhere but usyd, bond, western aus, and northern territory.... but my dad will probably force me to apply for every one of these unis as well. TT_TT

omg are you serious loll im gonna apply there! i wasnt willing to before...hey did u get an email from UNSW telling u that invites r gonna come in shortly?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
ssejamafone said:

Theres no med or dent uni's in NT.

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
Wooz said:
Theres no med or dent uni's in NT.
lol. ok. I guess that's also why i'm not applying there. :rolleyes:

bmwz4 said:
hey did u get an email from UNSW telling u that invites r gonna come in shortly?
what? when? arghhhh...... i'm so lost... :bomb: gah. oh well, i'll probs get it soon.

bmwz4

HSC
ssejamafone said:
lol. ok. I guess that's also why i'm not applying there. :rolleyes:

what? when? arghhhh...... i'm so lost... :bomb: gah. oh well, i'll probs get it soon.
you sure will, hmmm im scared about umat results hahah when r they out? it says late sept on the acer site...23rd or something?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
NT takes their doctors from SA and WA usually..

Flinders clinical school option is there..

mat2154

HSC
few people from our school have already been offered preliminary round interviews at UNSW, i guess they did really well in the umat. should have put down adelaide, but i only just found out that applications closed 5 days ago.

if your still pondering about med unis
all creds to AUSSIECHICA

UNSW: Counts UAI/UMAT/Interview for 1/3 of your final mark each. These were the minimum scores required to get an interview last year: http://www.med.unsw.edu.au/medweb.nsf/page/Latest_News#local
(If you are non-standard, a weighted UAI is used. See the bottom of this post).

USyd provisional entry: You need like 99.90 to even get an interview :) I think if you apply for B Med/B Music you can get in with about 99.65. Apply to the Uni and see what they say :).

UWS: UAI: 95 threshold, 93 threshold for Greater Western Sydney area applicants. (Last year it was 92 for normal applicants, and lower for GWS applicants). Once you've crossed that, they no longer care about your UAI. (Non-standards, GPA threshold is used, I can't remember what it is). From then on entrance is based on your interview marks (about 80%) and your UMAT (about 20%). Last year, a UMAT of about 180 was required to get an interview.

UNCLE (Newcastle): UAI: 93.80 threshold for standard applicants, 90.60 threshold for rural. "Close to credit average" for non-standards. UMAT threshold for non-rural, csp unbonded places was 180 in 2005 and 187 in 2006. The UMAT cut-off for rural remote applications scheme students was 163 in 2006, and about the same for the dean's regional list people (not sure about the exact definition of the regional list, but I know Newcastle and Maitland count). Once you pass the UAI and UMAT threshold, it is 100% about the interview. They interview 8 people per CSP unbonded place.

"From 2008 the Bachelor of Medicine will be offered jointly by the University of Newcastle and the University of New England. In 2008 there will be a total of 160 Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP) available within the Bachelor of Medicine across the two Universities – 100 CSPs at the University of Newcastle and 60 at the University of New England. Included are seven (7) Medical Rural Bonded Scholarships and forty (40) Bonded Medical Places.
Under the Joint Medical Program’s Rural/Remote Admissions Scheme (RRAS) at least 30% of CSPs available within the Bachelor of Medicine will be allocated to applicants who can demonstrate a significant rural/remote background. Details will be available at www.newcastle.edu.au/faculty/health."

UQ: Need a UAI over 99 and a decent UMAT (I think about 180) but no interviews. You need a minimum 50 percentile in each section of the UMAT.

JCU: VERY hard to get into as an interstater. They don't count the UMAT. As an interstater, you'd probably need about 99 to get in. They interview you based on your application form and predicted UAI. I think final selection is mostly interview and partly application form, I'm not sure if the UAI comes into it. (No idea how it works for non-standards but they tend to accept less non-standards).

UWA: A UAI/TER of at least 96 is required. For non-standards, GPA of about 6ish. UMAT score cutoff was originally 187 for interstaters and was brought down to 185 as applicants declined interviews. Slightly lower UMAT cutoff for W.A. applicants. UWA only interviews a small number of applicants per place (2-3 per place). On their website - they say that once you get to interview - relax coz your chances are good - they say the interview is not designed to 'knock people out.'

UAdelaide: Minimum UAI of 90, Minimum UMAT of low 170s, and the interview. Weighting is 40% interview, 40% UAI, and 20% UMAT.

UMelb: Pretty hard to get in, as no interviews. Here's the table of people who got in last year: http://www.medicine.unimelb.edu.au/future/ugradselect.html
Non-standards: There are only 5 places for non-standards so unless you have a UAI over 99, a really high GPA and an excellent UMAT, you're unlikely to get in. Although you should apply, you have a better chance of finishing a degree and applying for the 4.5 year grad med course (via the dreaded GAMSAT).
Please note, next year the Melbourne Model will be used.

Monash: There is no minimum UAI for Monash. UMAT raw scores are going to be used for 2008 entry but up until 2007, percentiles were used. For 2007 entry, percentiles of about 240 for interviews were necessary, and much lower scores if on the dean's rural list. No one knows exactly how each section of the process is counted. Used to be 50% interview, and 25% each for UAI and UMAT, but it has changed for this year so that the interview counted for just a little bit less, but they didn't release weightings. This year the competition is expected to rise because of the "Melbourne model" which will be introduced to Melbourne University.

UTas: There are no interviews. Minimum UAI of 95. As a Tasmanian school leaver, you need raw umat scores of 50 in each section. As an interstate school leaver, you need a combined raw UMAT scorer of over 200 (VERY few places are offered to interstate school leavers). For interstate non-standards, you need a GPA of 6 for each individual semester, over the past 3 semesters. For 2006 entry a UMAT in the high 170s and above was sufficient to get a first round offer for interstate non-standards. You must have a raw/scaled score of at least 50 in each section to be considered. UTas is one of the easiest universities for interstate non-standards and significantly harder for interstate standards.

Bond: UAI above 90. Final selection: 33% UAI, 33% UMAT, 33% interview.

Griffith Univeristy: 2 year program of BMedSc with direct entry into the graduate MBBS upon completion of BMedSc with a GPA 5.0+. A OP1 (~UAI 98.9+) is required for entry in the BMedSc and is not taken into account for final offers. Interviews are selected by an aggregate UMAT percentile. Places are decided by 50% UMAT, 50% Interview score. There is no official UMAT cutoff though it is known that the cuttoff was quite low in 2007 (the first cohort). Entry is for school leavers only. Prerequisites: English, Maths B (Math B=3u maths = Methods) and one of the core sciences.

ANU provisional entry: A UAI of 98 (92 if rural) is required for an interview. If successful, you need to finish a degree (unsure about required GPA) and get satisfactory marks in the GAMSAT to enter the course.

Auckland University and Otago University: See this thread: http://www.medstudentsonline.com/forums/in...?showtopic=2505

As you can see the UMAT is as important or more important that the UAI in almost every case. I didn't know that in year 12 and wish I did. A high UAI will definitely help you out (particularly at UNSW, Monash and other schools that heavily consider it) but at some schools, so long as you meet the minimum they don't care any more.

Wollongong: Grad only, no provisional offers (no undergrad entry).

Flinders Uni: Grad entry only, no provision offers (no undergrad entry).
(FTR): Need min: 50 (Sec 1), 45 (Sec 2) and 50 (Sec 3). Entry is based on:
- weighted GPA: no cut off but at least a credit needed
- GAMSAT cut-off for interview 62 but if u got a GPA over 6 you can still get an interview within 10% of the cutoff
- panel interview
They use all of the above equally to create an entry score to get in.

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
mat2154 said:
few people from our school have already been offered preliminary round interviews at UNSW, i guess they did really well in the umat. should have put down adelaide, but i only just found out that applications closed 5 days ago.
People have already gotten offers for unsw!?!??!!? what?!?!?!? :confused: :eek:

But i thought ALL offers/rejections were released on the 10th???

..... awww... that means that i must've done shitely in the umat.

:burn:

beentherdunthat

HSC
Offers haven't come out that early yet. Sseja, there's lots of offers that come out during the next few months :p Doesn't mean the world has ended.

As well, if you get a high UAI, they might be able to squeeze an interview with you. My friend didn't get an offer till January :p ;)

Last edited:

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
beentherdunthat said:
Offers haven't come out that early yet. Sseja, there's lots of offers that come out during the next few months :p Doesn't mean the world has ended.

As well, if you get a high UAI, they might be able to squeeze an interview with you. My friend didn't get an offer till January :p ;)
oh really ?
so what did that guy up there mean .. ? o_O ? didnt he say his friends got offers ?

mat2154

HSC
offers have come out, i can assure you that two people from our school (sydney boys high) have been contacted by telephone regarding a preliminary interview

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
beentherdunthat said:
Interesting 411. :p

But my point was.... MORE will come out :p
and a big PHEW from me. >_>"

but, wow, those guys must've done ASTRONOMICALLY in umat to get offers this early!!!

beentherdunthat

HSC
ssejamafone said:
and a big PHEW from me. >_>"

but, wow, those guys must've done ASTRONOMICALLY in umat to get offers this early!!!
hmm yeah. I done umat for the funz of it. ;) Seriously not interested in med/dentistry. Good luck though :p

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
beentherdunthat said:
hmm yeah. I done umat for the funz of it. ;) Seriously not interested in med/dentistry. Good luck though :p
wait, did i read that right..... YOU TOOK THE UMAT FOR FUNZZZ!?!?!?!?! YOU PAID 150 DOLLARS FOR 3 HOURS OF MIND-KILLING NUMBNESS!?!?!?!?!?!

WHY!!!!!!!!!

ARGHGHGHGHGH!!!!!!

but, thanks for the luck. ^_^ i will seriously need it.

beentherdunthat

HSC
ssejamafone said:
wait, did i read that right..... YOU TOOK THE UMAT FOR FUNZZZ!?!?!?!?! YOU PAID 150 DOLLARS FOR 3 HOURS OF MIND-KILLING NUMBNESS!?!?!?!?!?!

WHY!!!!!!!!!

ARGHGHGHGHGH!!!!!!

but, thanks for the luck. ^_^ i will seriously need it.
lol :uhhuh: My bro done it last year. So it set a precedent lol. Hehe @ Mind-killing numbness. :p It t'was a nice day in the city more like :p (cold though)

My bro got in during the prelim round. Hopefully, you'll get one soon. Keep me updated :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)