Medicine/Dentistry (1 Viewer)

Hotsauce

Denied
HSC
Current Year 12 student here, but I'm looking at studying either the medicine or dentistry postgraduate courses in the near future (leaning more towards medicine however). I realise that both courses, being postgraduate require a bachelor's degree, sitting GAMSAT and being interviewed.

Now my question is, what undergraduate course would be best to go for in anticipation of pursuing medicine or dentistry? Would the Bachelor of Science (BSc) course be most suitable?

Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks in advance :)

Kittycat

HSC
actually, I would say Medical Science or Nursing.
Medical Science because it will probably help you with some of the stuff you will be doing in Med.
Nursing because it will teach you compassion & it is related to Medicine.
I think you should pick nursing. Although medical science will (I think) help with some of the subjects you do in medicine, nursing will probably help you while you are on the job. Different viewpoints. People say that nurses are the eyes and ears of the doctors.
Nursing helps with dentistry as well but not as much as medicine.
Nursing is hard but I think by the end of it, it will probably helps you to understand the patients & etc. (think of how it will help you with the interviews)

Last edited:

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
hmm... depends what you mean by suitable... are you talking about in terms of helping you get in, or in terms of helping you understand the course better?

i live with 2 usyd med students, and they both have BSc degrees... one did Chemistry-esque majors, while the other did Bio and Neuro... both know some of the stuff being taught in the course, and their degrees help them in different areas

having said that, if you're talking purely about getting in, it doesnt really matter what degree you do - Usyd does the whole thing about "diversity and life experiences" etc... one of my friends doing the med course came into it with a Bachelor of Commerce, and two years working as a financial banker :D all she did was buy a bio and a chem textbook before the GAMSAT...

Collin

HSC
N/A
BSc, with as many possible subjects related to the field of medicine.

EDIT: Or Med Sci.

Last edited:

Hotsauce

Denied
HSC
Originally posted by snakeoils
hmm... depends what you mean by suitable... are you talking about in terms of helping you get in, or in terms of helping you understand the course better?
I was actually referring to both :) But yeah I can see what yourself and JKDDragon are saying with regards to BSc.

Originally posted by Kittycat
actually, I would say Medical Science or Nursing.
Medical Science because it will probably help you with some of the stuff you will be doing in Med.
Nursing because it will teach you compassion & it is related to Medicine.
I think you should pick nursing. Although medical science will (I think) help with some of the subjects you do in medicine, nursing will probably help you while you are on the job. Different viewpoints. People say that nurses are the eyes and ears of the doctors.
Nursing helps with dentistry as well but not as much as medicine.
Nursing is hard but I think by the end of it, it will probably helps you to understand the patients & etc. (think of how it will help you with the interviews)
Oddly enough as it seems so relevant to medicine, I haven't even considered Nursing :eek: I'll have a look into that however!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)