Medicine Experience (1 Viewer)

Medman

HSC
^Don't say it like louielouiee typed out word for word but I hope you get the point.

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Right.

Yep.

Oh Ok. Right. Oh you go to JCU?
Yep.

That's also what I said in my application more or less.

I also did things like donating blood, volunteer at a homeless shelter etc. which I all related back to helping people.

Obviously it was worded a bit better than that but you get the point. It doesn't all have to be about gaining experience with actual doctors, just to display some community involvement that could portray you as someone who cares about people.

Fade1233

HSC
N/A
Yep.

That's also what I said in my application more or less.

I also did things like donating blood, volunteer at a homeless shelter etc. which I all related back to helping people.

Obviously it was worded a bit better than that but you get the point. It doesn't all have to be about gaining experience with actual doctors, just to display some community involvement that could portray you as someone who cares about people.
Hey that's really helpful of you. I mean both helping me and the volunteering you did. Thanks

ipikip

HSC
''What activities (paid employment, work experience or voluntary) have you undertaken, in addition to your studies, which indicate your motivation to study medicine?''
Hi,
How do I fulfill the requirements of this? I am in Year 12 Currently. The problem is I want to get experience in any way in hospitals if that's possible currently. Is it? And what possible ways are there? I wouldn't mind any of voluntary, work experience or the rest.
Thanks
Dude.

Go to your nearest hospital or GP and ask if you can shadow a doctor. Then you can say you've seen that it's like and you think it's interesting and exciting.

Job done.

bangladesh

HSC
Dude.

Go to your nearest hospital or GP and ask if you can shadow a doctor. Then you can say you've seen that it's like and you think it's interesting and exciting.

Job done.
lol. not actually that easy.

ipikip

HSC
lol. not actually that easy.
I don't see how it's not that easy. Literally rock up to a teaching hospital, go to a ward and tell them you're a student. Best to go there early in the morning before they start ward rounds (usually 8:30 am).

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't see how it's not that easy. Literally rock up to a teaching hospital, go to a ward and tell them you're a student. Best to go there early in the morning before they start ward rounds (usually 8:30 am).
Erm no. For one thing teaching hospitals are usually full of med students so the chance you'll get shadowing a medical team is close to zero, those spots are reserved for student doctors. Showing up uninvited will mean that you'll be bounced to a NUM who'll probably ask you to make a formal application through the hospital meaning you'll be in the same boat as every other high schooler. You won't believe the amount of paperwork and insurance requires to get high school kids in a hospital setting and even when you're there you'll likely shadow nursing staff or Allied Health.

ipikip

HSC
Erm no. For one thing teaching hospitals are usually full of med students so the chance you'll get shadowing a medical team is close to zero, those spots are reserved for student doctors. Showing up uninvited will mean that you'll be bounced to a NUM who'll probably ask you to make a formal application through the hospital meaning you'll be in the same boat as every other high schooler. You won't believe the amount of paperwork and insurance requires to get high school kids in a hospital setting and even when you're there you'll likely shadow nursing staff or Allied Health.
Yeah, you're right. I didn't consider hospital bureaucracy and the associated paperwork.

If you know a doctor on the wards and they're happy to have you, do you need paperwork to follow them around?

Surely a student following an intern around for the day is pretty innocuous, save perhaps privacy issues.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
If you know a doctor on the wards and they're happy to have you, do you need paperwork to follow them around?

You do.

Surely a student following an intern around for the day is pretty innocuous, save perhaps privacy issues.
Seems like a fairly significant issue to me. Privacy and confidentiality. makes up a very large part of a doctor's job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)