Medicine in Uni (1 Viewer)

HSC
HEY :)

Say i was interested ta do sumtin dat is in the medical field

chemistry n biology r definite electives

but is physics necessary or is it beta ta do another subject such as a social science :confused:

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Chemistry, Maths 2U or 3U and or Physics is quite often the only recommended

Depends what uni you want to get into.

UNSW only has chem. But remember it's not a pre-requisite. Only melb i think has them.

karnoganguli

HSC
You don't have to do any of those subjects in order to get into medicine. But they do recommend chemistry, 2-3 unit maths, physics and in some places biology. To get into medicine you need a relatively good UAI and do well in UMAT (the lower the UAI, the higher your UMAT score must be). Then, if you did well enough you get an interview and thats i think the final hurdle for getting into medicine. If you want to go to sydney uni then just take any course you want (for undergraduate that is) and then do the gamsat (which is totally different to UMAT)...

BACK TO TOPIC: i suggest you do chem. and physics, and 3 unit maths. However, if you suck at science then no point in doing them. Just do some bridging course. My god. I really went off topic.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
karnoganguli said:
You don't have to do any of those subjects in order to get into medicine. But they do recommend chemistry, 2-3 unit maths, physics and in some places biology. To get into medicine you need a relatively good UAI and do well in UMAT (the lower the UAI, the higher your UMAT score must be). Then, if you did well enough you get an interview and thats i think the final hurdle for getting into medicine. If you want to go to sydney uni then just take any course you want (for undergraduate that is) and then do the gamsat (which is totally different to UMAT)...

BACK TO TOPIC: i suggest you do chem. and physics, and 3 unit maths. However, if you suck at science then no point in doing them. Just do some bridging course. My god. I really went off topic.
You really didn't go off-topic at the beginning, but you kind of lost it near the end of the first paragraph :p Still very useful information though :)

appetite

HSC
If you suck at science, should you really be doing medicine, though?

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
For the most part it doesn't matter. Provided the course you're trying to get into doesn't have sciences as prerequisites then you're better off following your interests. The hardest part about getting into medicine is getting the high marks, something which is a lot easier if you enjoy what you're studying. However, if all three sciences do in fact interest you then here are some thoughts on usefulness from a UNSW med perspective:

Chem is worthwhile because it comes up every now and then and it's tougher to catch up on the relevant chemistry knowledge. Biology has a lot of content that appears in med but it's pretty easy to catch up on. Physics, once again, isn't very easy to catch up on but it doesn't feature as strongly as the other two.

I find it hard to answer your question because I'm biased in two ways. For one, I value a liberal education and as such I think it would be worthwhile studying a social science. On the other hand I'm a fan of physics (I did phys and chem myself) and I think it's a fascinating, worthwhile subject. Ultimately I'm going to give you the generic answer: "it's up to you... follow your interests" which is probably the best answer I can give you. I would certainly advise that you do at least one science if you intend to go into medicine but beyond that follow your interests, your next two years will be all the more bearable for it.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Nah, there have been a few people getting in only with Chem, so you'll be good. Chem is definitely something you should take, but remember, it's about the UAI to get in, so if you're only doing Chem because it's the 'recommended knowledge', and there's a serious chance of it hurting your UAI, you shouldn't do it.

Bio--well, here I'm biased, because I absolutely love it, and there is no formal prerequisite for it, so if you don't do it, it's ok, but if you do, it'll make a few parts of medicine easier to cruise through. Physics--again, biased cos, conversely, I hate it, and I know it doesn't feature strongly in medicine, but if you think you can make a good UAI out of it, it'd be a good idea.

Remember though, it's all about the UAI (what if you stuff up UMAT?) so if social science > physics for you, then you should choose that over physics.

HSC
i am prety confident wif my sciences n enjoy dem

i got my subject selections fing da other day n seems lyk i cant do all sciences

chemistry is clear, it does not conflict wif anyfin so i am certain i will do dat

but bio n physics r in da same line. does it matter wat i do or can i jus toss a coin 4 it:)

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
It depends whether your good with mathematical logic, are u good at the westpac maths comp? If you can manipulate formulas easily i recon you should do physics. Also if you good with heaps of theory i would reccomend you take up bio. But you can change subjects in the first term of yr 11 so dont worry to much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)