medicine [mbbs] (2 Viewers)

Dr.Dan

HSC
Really? that would be excellent. but chances are slight .
this is undergrad . but if u make it into a different course and try and gain entry through graduate place , is it still extremely hard , i mean on there booklet (USyd) it said that this is how most people get in. I just hope its not as competitive as the HSC ....

Another thing , which is harder to get into , Usyd or UNSW , i dont mind either .....

ssejamafone said:
6th grade theory? darn.

jeez. 99+ uais. i feel my dreams collapsing on me.

But, i think i read somewhere that for people transferring, from next year onwards (or something), they will only take into account your gpa and umat, and not your uai?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
10 places at USyd still?..
Max intake 20 + 2 international students.
Min UAI for interview is 99.55 this year.
http://www.medfac.usyd.edu.au/futurestudent/combineddegree/admission/sci-med.php

5 for B.Arts ADV Hons/MBBS
http://fmweb01.ucc.usyd.edu.au/ugco...34123&-token.1=Local&-token.9=medicine&-find=
B.Sci Adv/MBBS it's not specified this year but im guessing <15.
http://fmweb01.ucc.usyd.edu.au/ugco...32816&-token.1=Local&-token.9=medicine&-find=
B. Music Studies/MBBS not specified its a new course.
http://fmweb01.ucc.usyd.edu.au/ugco...34137&-token.1=Local&-token.9=medicine&-find=

Last edited:

kloudsurfer

HSC
So...why the hell would you wanna do music/medicine?!?!?!?

So you can play your patients calm soothing music before telling them they are going to die...?

Seriously though...why?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
its just only because im so use to typing my course as mbbs :p that mabbe is easier

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
kloudsurfer said:

So you can play your patients calm soothing music before telling them they are going to die...?

Seriously though...why?
I was just thinking about this question while studying.

Medicine is actually regarded as an art form as well. It requires a good eye for subtle differences between patients and an ability to communicate (physically and verbally) to a patient. By using clinical skills appropriately and confidently, a good medic will save the patient time and harm (see hippocrates oath) and convey a level of confidences at their skills. With the skill of creatively identifying all possible and postulating possible pathology we make a very thorough list of differentials.

There is also elements of risk/benefit analysis and ethics for healing.

Music allows expression of creativity and teaches skills in confidence/concentration/ observation.

We rely too heavily on things like CT imaging because they are the 'easier', less litigous and allows us less training. This approach to medicine is somewhat flawed because these techniques should be reserved for the complicated cases not just any case.

In fact you should be so confident of ure last 2 diagnosis that you would bet on it.

Observation is critical as it also forms the science of medicine and clinical training, I lament the times when I never needed anything but a good piece of paper, pen, ears, brains and a physical examination to figure a diagnosis.

pRii

HSC
I would love to get into medicine, whether it be at uws or unsw..if i got into uws undergraduate med, i would def take it..at the end of the day its medicine, and you're pretty much guaranteed a job with any medical degree, so its the same as doing it at any other uni....

If i dont make it into undergraduate medicine..i do have a back-up plan..I am also interested in psychology and human resources, so i would most likely do a science degree, major in psychology and then decide whether i want to pursue med via a postgrad degree at usyd or stick with psych/hr management..

Good luck to everyone whose doing their hsc this year...and all the best to those wanting to do medicine!!

Last edited:

Season

HSC
kloudsurfer said:

Seriously though...why?
For personal reasons really, I mean the typical person who gets 99.55 tends to be a massive overachiever who probably is massively talented in other areas, music is a pretty popular area for overachievers. I could easily name about 20 overachievers who have a university standards in their music. Its all about pursuing interests outside of medicine and being 'well-rounded'.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
pRii said:
I would love to get into medicine, whether it be at uws or unsw..if i got into uws undergraduate med, i would def take it..at the end of the day its medicine, and you're pretty much guaranteed a job with any medical degree, so its the same as doing it at any other uni....

If i dont make it into undergraduate medicine..i do have a back-up plan..I am also interested in psychology and human resources, so i would most likely do a science degree, major in psychology and then decide whether i want to pursue med via a postgrad degree at usyd or stick with psych/hr management..

Good luck to everyone whose doing their hsc this year...and all the best to those wanting to do medicine!!
well lets hope u get a job or dun mind being an unemployed doctor :D

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Well, this is my plan.
I realize medicine is competitive to gain entry. Therefore, I have a plan.
This is my plan...

Currently I'm studying medical science at the university of sydney... and I'm unsatisfied with the course, mainly because it has no scope, and very little correlation with medicine.

Now, I plan 2 apply too uac for 2008 admissions thus hopefully gaining admission into either:

1. Human Anatomy @ the unsw BScAdv
2. Medical Microbiology and Immunology @ the unsw BScAdv (new cancer research building should be a treat = lowe building)

After an additonal full year of university study, I will apply 2 both the unsw, and uws for undergraduate entry medicine... as a non-graduate

honestly, I'm not interested in medicine because of the money, or
i'm going 2 bed

thx 4 listening

aussiechica7

HSC
cool :) will u apply to newcastle as well? just a few hours up the coast, and if u r going 2 live in campbelltown, u might as well be willing to live in newcastle.

also will u apply interstate?

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
aussiechica7 said:
cool :) will u apply to newcastle as well? just a few hours up the coast, and if u r going 2 live in campbelltown, u might as well be willing to live in newcastle.

also will u apply interstate?
thx 4 replyn aussiechicka,
Interstate, no... UWS and UNSW are the only two universities I plan 2 apply 2 as a non-graduate.
I won’t seek residence in Campbelltown, mainly because I live only 20 minutes away the UWS campus :p

If UWS doesn't accept me for what ever reason-I know it will not be my GPA, and I'm fairly confident in relation to the UMAT-then plan C comes into play!

What’s Plan C you ask?:

1. Complete the Bachelor of Science (Advanced), in Human Anatomy at the UNSW
2. Complete honors -I believe, as a student within the BSc(Adv), you're required 2 maintain a credit grade average over the duration of the course, only then will you be able too complete the honors (research).
3. Once completed, graduate entry is my last option (USydMP):
If I’m 2 fail in regards 2 graduate entry, then I will find employment in the areas of Anatomy; maybe even going on 2 publish a Marieb-styled textbook for Australian med students, and nurses.
Hopefully though, UWS will recognize my potential as a student, and upon graduation, I will respond to the health needs of individuals, families and the community and will be committed to improving the health care system at all levels.

2 months later:

Last edited:

Dr.Dan

HSC
i think the problem that i face isnt primarily the uni i wanna go to for med..... i mean ppl say a degree is a degree but different unis allign you with specific hospitals e.g. usyd >rpa , unsw> concord st george etc...... theres a whole range,.. i would be more concerned at which uni takes you where ver..

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Dr.Dan said:
i think the problem that i face isnt primarily the uni i wanna go to for med..... i mean ppl say a degree is a degree but different unis allign you with specific hospitals e.g. usyd >rpa , unsw> concord st george etc...... theres a whole range,.. i would be more concerned at which uni takes you where ver..
errr sorry ive obviously missed this point?..

which hospital on that list do u think is sub-par?

and ure in ure undergraduate medical degree.... its not ure post-graduate training

Hospitals:
1/you should be concerned about teaching and having good tutes, outpatients and common diseases.
2/you should find one thats small and where u can have a hands on role

I think u may have a grossly wrong impression about what makes a good clinical placement.

I have done work at all the Adelaide uni affliated hospitals + PoWH and Westmead.. and realli they are all similar...

personally no concerns about newcastle's JHH and UWS' Campbelltown (former UNSW anyways) nor with UMelb or Monash.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)