• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Medicine with a criminal conviction (1 Viewer)

nitrair

HSC
Ok, so I have a provisional position in medicine at UQ doing the BSc/MBBS dual program. Someone mentioned in passing the other day about not getting a criminal conviction and I wondered if anyone else knew anything about this.

He was saying if you are doing medicine or law you can't have a conviction, and if you're med, particularly not sexually-based or drug-related. Is that correct? Is it that you can study med but some places might not take you over people with a clean record? Or is it that if you have a conviction you won't be able to study medicine at all?

Also does that apply for the whole med career. Like if its malpractice fair enough but if its an unrelated drug offense for example how would that go down?

I had a look on the net but it all seems to be specific to unis/hospitals like UNSW do checks apparently. I understand that it might jeopardise your chances of jobs but is it laid out or just kinda a given? Apparently UQ do some sort of checks about the time you get a bluecards but im not sure if that's related.

Is anyone here able to explain how it works? I'm not worried or anything but me and especially a few other kids were slightly concerned and keen to get informed/become more careful in the future.

thanks heaps

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
It's not the school, it's the health care system in the state. When the time comes for your clinical placement, you will be rejected if you have a serious offence (rape, murder, assult, drug related, any sort of sexual abuse is not tolerated, especially child sex offences)

Driving offences aren't considered heavily unless an accident occurred and someone died as a result, no licence etc...

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
That said, I remember at one stage the NSW Nurses Board wasn't granting registration to nurses with driving convictions.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
How long did that idea last?

Things like jumping the train, malicious damage, riding a bicycle without a helmet wouldn't impact your application too much.
Well I hope not otherwise I'll be working as a grounds keepr at the hospital.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
I dunno. Friend of a friend told me that his friend lost his registration for taking a leak by the side of the road and somebody dobbed him in for lewd behaviour.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Oh damn, that's unfortunate... and embarazn
Malicious damage could prevent me from working for the public health system, I'm hoping it will be dismissed - it was a juvy offence.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Oh damn, that's unfortunate... and embarazn
Malicious damage could prevent me from working for the public health system, I'm hoping it will be dismissed - it was a juvy offence.
I'm pretty sure the NSW Medical Board will take your juvenille office into account but show leniency or not do anything at all, I just did my National Health Criminal Record Check, and it just says that this applicant [name + dob] living at [address], has no pending court appearances. However, the uni asks you to provide 100 points of ID and does another state based criminal record check to get your criminal background.

You maybe struck off or supervised, etc if you have more hefty than a very minor a drug related offence, the practice of medicine recognised addiction as a disease under the 1973 WHO policy, that Drug and alcohol addictions are recognised as diseases. However, I have seen cases in the media where the state medical boards have not been lenient.

Please contact your admissions office for med for confidential advice, etc.

doink

Clone
HSC
Any assault, violence, child offense or sexual offense will result in you not being able to undertake a medicine degree, if you have your degree the board may revoke your license.

nitrair

HSC
Cool
thanks for the responses everyone!

Yeah the charges against my friend were dropped. In fact the person who made the allegation is on trial in a few months so all is well. He was extremely scared for a while there.

I'm sure you'll be fine with your thing Bacilli, malicious damage shouldn't be such a big deal for doctors (im hoping?) especially if u were a kid.

i guess the lesson here is dont stupid things if u wanna be a doctor ? hahah we'll see

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
it depends on the university. some unis may be more lenient, and the legislation in different states may also be different regarding people with a cimincal record coming into contact with patients on clinical visits. (i think)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)