Medsci to Medicine (1 Viewer)

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
ssejamafone said:
i could repeat year 12, which i actually have seriously been considering since after i did my trial hsc.
Jess, you have got to be kidding. Your results were great! :D

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Med to Med transfers are rarely done cos it messes up the continuity of subjects..
so u tend to repeat years instead to catch up..

it happens between deans of med schools... too .. its not a normal transfer..I *heard*... they are territorial about their students.. so poaching is frowned upon.. it happens tho when there is a legitimate reason...

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
ssejamafone , don't be such a stresshead! :D

Whatever you choose to do, repeat HSC, BSc (Psyc) or MedSc, you will be just fine! Stop worrying too much.

If you wish to repeat, you should approach your Principal or teachers who can help you. Every school is different and no one knows how your school work. And this is the uni section... may be try the HSC 2008 section if you are really desperate. Enjoy your holiday!

TBU21

HSC
Uni Grad
loser101 said:
what about try a different state? r there easier med courses to get into? eg WA? SA? NT if any?
NT doesn't have any med schools. From my notes, UWA is relatively easier for locals (lower UMAT threshold), but a fair bit tougher for interstate applicants - but if you get an interview you're a good chance of getting in (low interview/places ratio). UAde has a relatively low UMAT and UAI threshold, but the interview/places ratio is very high in comparison to others.

Season

HSC
TBU21 said:
NUAde has a relatively low UMAT and UAI threshold, but the interview/places ratio is very high in comparison to others.

Umm, not really, Adelaide inteviews 600 people for about 140 places... thats about the same as UNSW, and Monash, it is actually less then Newcastle who say they interview 8 per place... I don't think that would have been feasible this year.

loser101

HSC
i think there are risk with both repeating and doing a med sci.

redo HSC - get 95+ - still not guaranteed a place - may waste a year

Do Med Sci - no guarantee of DN avg, and even if get DN abg, still need interview. but at least your 1 yr into a uni degree.

TBU21

HSC
Uni Grad
Season said:
Umm, not really, Adelaide inteviews 600 people for about 140 places... thats about the same as UNSW, and Monash, it is actually less then Newcastle who say they interview 8 per place... I don't think that would have been feasible this year.
Fair call - I didn't know that. Apparently UWA have 1:2-3 ratio of places per interview.

loser101 - do medscience (or any other uni degree for that matter) if you're genuinely interested in the degree and completely satisfied with the career prospects it will give you if you don't get into med, but don't do it for the sake of getting a degree. The degree means nothing if it's not going to be of use to you.

Like I said in an earlier post, if your heart's not 100% in medscience, you're better off taking a year off, hitting UMAT and HSC study hard, while re-assessing all career options thoroughly (researching other degrees/fields of study e.g. commerce, engineering, law, IT... - going to uni open days, talking to people in the industry and students etc.), participating in co-curricular activities and give yourself an extra year to mature. It probably doesn't look like the best option from an outsiders perspective, but if you're not really sure what you want to do apart from med or have your heart dead set on med then it's definitely better than jumping into a degree that isn't going to satisfy you.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
loser101 said:
Do Med Sci - no guarantee of DN avg, and even if get DN abg, still need interview. but at least your 1 yr into a uni degree.
Yeah yeah, and as a dfee students, $20k in dept... unless ofcourse mummy and daddy sucked alot of dick during their careers...

K

katie_tully

some of those responses are so long and im too lazy to read it all.

the gist i am getting from current hsc students on here is 'oh well if i dont make it into med i can go medsc and then get into med', as though medsc is easy. it's a challenging degree, so make sure u consider that.
dont do it purely coz u think it's a way in. if you don't enjoy it, chances are you wont do as well in it.

you're basically guaranteed a job with a med sc degree. the most common employment path is hospital scientist (testing in path labs, etc).

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
katie_tully said:
... the most common employment path is hospital scientist (testing in path labs, etc).
...which in my opinion, would be a very satisfying career! :)

barling89

McLovin it :D
HSC
i've heard that MedScience graduates from unsw and usyd find it hard to find a job.........many ppl have told me to stay from medscience because the degree doesn't leave you very employable

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
barling89 said:
i've heard that MedScience graduates from unsw and usyd find it hard to find a job.........many ppl have told me to stay from medscience because the degree doesn't leave you very employable
It's hard to find a generalist med sci job with the influx of med sci students and the competition with other people with sci degrees. Many people stay at uni to do masters, etc and thus hopefully inc job prospects and employability.

loser101

HSC
NSW wide there are thousands new graduates and students in Med Sci, not to mention B.Sci, Forensic Sci, BioMedical, Biomedical Engineering, Advance Sci etc etc.

Are there really thousands of retirements and jobs created in hospitals every year? you do the maths

barling89

HSC
loser101: Are there really thousands of retirements and jobs created in hospitals every year? you do the maths

i really hope so...

hey Wooz, how'd u get my quote to say: 'Originally Posted by ...'

I'm not familiar with all of BOS's capabilities

Last edited:

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
barling89 said:
loser101: Are there really thousands of retirements and jobs created in hospitals every year? you do the maths

i really hope so...

I'm not familiar with all of BOS's capabilities

If you need to reply to multiple quotes copy the persons message into your reply box then put it into the tags for eg.
barling89 said:

I'm not familiar with all of BOS's capabilities[*/quote]

without the * and the gap. The quote function ends up saying ''Originally Posted by ...''.

barling89

HSC
Wooz said:
If you need to reply to multiple quotes copy the persons message into your reply box then put it into the tags.

without the * and the gap. The quote function ends up saying ''Originally Posted by ...''.
yeh, i did it! Thanks mate

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
barling89 said:
All almost all students graduated with a First Class Honours degree in a MedSc or Science degree will get a science-related job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)