• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Mel Gibson's Apocalypto (1 Viewer)

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
icecreamdisco said:
^ great sig.

anyway, i enjoyed the heck out of this film. sure, it's insights into mayan civilisation are low (apparently, they say "fuck" and like to quote midnight cowboy?!), and it reminded me of a nutra-grain commercial on more than one occasion, but it's great popcorn entertainment. not as bloody as i expected, but that's mainly because i watched cannibal holocaust a few days prior. satisfying stuff, all round. and waaaaay better than gibson's previous effort as director.

and to the person who complained about the existence of subtitles; get raped, plz.
Cannibal Holocaust? Wow, you're a braver person than I. I wouldn't be able to watch that movie if you paid me. (Obviosuly I'd try...I just doubt I'd be able to stomach it.)

I read someone calling it (EDIT: just clarifying here that I'm talking about Apocalypto) anti-climatic. I work at a cinema, and when doing checks for this movie I believe I watched what was supposed to have been the "climax" of the movie. If I'm right about this then I'd have to agree. I've heard so much about how hard this is supposed to be to watch, but I was able to stand back and watch the final showdown (again, assuming it WAS the climax and not just another fight scene) very easily.

Last edited:

icecreamdisco

HSC
Jachie said:
Cannibal Holocaust? Wow, you're a braver person than I. I wouldn't be able to watch that movie if you paid me. (Obviosuly I'd try...I just doubt I'd be able to stomach it.)
it's probably the worst film i've ever seen. apart from having scene after scene of voyeuristically filmed, drawn-out animal slaughter (involving some of the cutest animals, to boot) and tribal punishment (rape with stone phallus, gruesome abortions, more rape, etc), the film actually attempts to be a sort of critique on the media fascination with such depravity, by cutting to a TV studio watching the 'lost footage' we're seeing, and having an ethics debate over whether it should be aired or not. ie, the director of the film can't even cop to his own filth, so he blames the culture that would allow such a film to exist!

just thinking about it makes me wanna puke.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
How did you get your hands on it? It used to be banned in Australia, so maybe it's been cut and redistributed? All I know is, it certainly doesn't appear like my cup of tea. For all the reasons you've mentioned.

icecreamdisco

HSC
Jachie said:
How did you get your hands on it? It used to be banned in Australia, so maybe it's been cut and redistributed? All I know is, it certainly doesn't appear like my cup of tea. For all the reasons you've mentioned.
it was finally released last year. on a 2-disc special edition DVD, to boot. *gags again*

walrusbear

HSC
it took me till the waterfall scene to realise i wasn't watching anything substantial

but it was freaking entertaining

i've only seen this and pan's labyrinth this year but it's already a year for brutality :p

bored6

HSC
I was kinda dissapointed. I was probably expecting it to be much better then it actucally was. Action scenes were cleverly done however.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)