Melbourne vs. Monash (1 Viewer)

dste6

HSC
Pretend you were a graduate student and were just offered places at both Melb and Monash JD programs. Which one would you take, and why?

I'm interested in tangible benefits that either school can offer over the other. I don't want to get bogged down in a debate about prestige; I'm aware that both law schools have a good reputation.

Predator78

HSC
I have never seen much of Monash but I have heard good things about it.
When I went to Melbourne for an excursion it was quite good, its very very big.
Im assuming you would be doing the new thing they have there? 'The Melbourne Model', does seem quite interesting and from what I know allows you to do two courses at once.
That was probaly no help if not sorry :)

cottoneye

HSC
N/A
Monash teach most of their JD classes in the CBD to suit graduate students that work, have families, etc. MU is in Carlton so adds a tram-ride to your train travels if you commute using public transport. Also, from what I have heard from current students, many of MU's JDs are straight out of their undergraduate degree whereas there is a larger percentage of mature age students at Monash. I suppose it depends where you live, what sort of timetable you want to keep and who you like spending time with.

dste6

HSC
yeh I'm leaning more towards Monash due to location, smaller class sizes. I'm also liking that they offer clinical and overseas programs. Melb didnt really mention anything like that at their info session, they were going on and on about their facilities and vague international prospects, without didnt really offering any specifics. I still dont know if they offer any practical or overseas programs other than moot court...
Mature age students at Monash would be a worry though; not keen on being called sonny and listening to their life stories :)...

dste6

HSC
If I'm honest, the only reasons I can think of, at the moment, for going to Melbourne over Monash (personally) are 1. the 'Melbourne' name 2. the facilities. Whilst these are insidiously tempting, if I put my 'rational hat' on, they're really not good enough reasons compared to the practical advantages of Monash for me. Especially since law firms don't seems to care whether your from Melb or Monash?

Basicly what I'm after are some pro's to add to the Melb column; does anyone know of any standout features or programs that Melb offers, which Monash might not?

Last edited:

cottoneye

HSC
N/A
The 'mature age' students in a JD program are unlikely to be the same as those you get in undergrad subjects that are attending out of personal interest. Most JDs (that I know of) are people who have worked for a few years and either want to advance their career or change it. I would guess the median would be late 20s to early 30s. The admissions office would have more accurate information if that is a concern to you. It is only recently that graduate law in Australia has began imitating the US model, before that most people either studied law as ugrad or not at all.

I can't think of any great factors that would separate either Melbourne or Monash. They are both extremely good universities and you would not be disadvantaged in any sense if you are in the position of choosing between the two. Consider your learning styles and goals, cost, convinience, etc and take it from there.

Good luck!

hotdimsim

HSC
looking at the melbourne jd course timetable, there doesnt seem to be much room to work (your there mon - thurs 10:30->4:30) with no option of night classes. So if you wanted to continue working in your chosen career for the time being (not at a call centre/maccas) its a bad choice. I guess this suits melbournes way of shunting all school leavers into a undergrad degree then the JD if they want to do law, so as someone else said there wouldnt be as many older people (with work exp etc) like yourself doing it lots of new graduates.

Monash seems more flexible (night class) and more suited to the person who hasnt JUST finished there undergrad degree. I reckon youd get more professional students at monash.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Mate Monash is the place to go. All the Victorian High Court judges are from Monash

pstan1985

HSC
I guess it really depends on whether you wish to work. Melb JD is relatively more intensive whereas for Monash JD, you only have classes 1 1/2 day a week.

Also, I think learning with some 'mature age' people is a great experience. Well and I don't see them as mature age students but students with many years of work experience.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)