melodic dictation!!! (1 Viewer)

skankit

i really suck at it! ive been practicing a bit these hols, and i thought iw as getting better but when i started doing some harder ones i got lost again. i just get so overwhelmed and i end up just like not knowing where to start...

anyone ahve some tips???

gen4

well I can give u tips but unfortunatly they havnt' helped me.. my whole music class can't do melodic dictation!!! our top trial mark was 1/5 hahaha but I've tried readign up heaps on it and some tips i have foudn include:

- Notate the rhythmn first, u will get marks for gettign the rhythm correct.

- don't jump straight into get the melody into your head first (however this scares the beejees out of me not writing anythign down when u only have limited hearing anyway!!)

- one i like to try is if u have the begging but it rushes past and can't do anymore try to catch the ending b3ecause often endson tonic or aorund a chordal thing ususally pretty easy to pick.

- also drawing the contour, apparentkly u can also get marks if u have dran the contour corrctly and suppose to help u at end.

umm that's al i can thin of for the moment hope it helps it's much easier said then done i have found.. I copmlete agree with u I HATE MELODIC DICTATION. :( .. and damn u ppl with perfect pitch :p!!! cyA later and good luck :)

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
hehe great tips Gen - there quite true our music teacher told us that too... it works for most people. Hehe, you dont need to have perfect pitch to do melody dictation! You just need know your intervals... Good thing to practice for melody dictation is to transcribe as much as you can. Listen to heaps of recordings, and try to listen to it a few times and play them on your instrument, or sing it, and also practice writing it down on manuscript paper. They beter give us a good quality recording for the thing cos i remember when we did the test in yr 11 it was a dogdy recording and you couldnt even haer the melody so i couldnt write it down... and also there was a piano playing next door and it was louder than the CD and the stupid teacher wouldnt turn the CD volume up arghhh!! OH also another thing... practice sight singing!!! Although your performance is over... sight singing can also help - find heaps of music and try to sing them - it will help you with your intervals which are the skills that you need in melody dictation! Good luck!

typo

HSC
bumping this up cause i need help on melodic dictation

Stevemotto

HSC
If your a natural at melody dictation (eg. perfect pitch) then u have no problem at all and you would usually get 5 easy marks. However for those who don't have this gift (eg. me :() then I would suggest practicing of rhythm dictation, (which usually is generally easier). Then attempt to fill out the notes by placing them on the leggier line, keep in mind that you do get marks for having a close guess. So good luck! ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)