memoirs of a geisha (1 Viewer)

SipSip

HSC
N/A
I loved the book and still waiting till my gf gets back to watch the movie since that i promised her...didn't read the thread either in case it spoils the experience...hope it's a good one though

Salima

HSC
I just watched geisha yesterday. Man I would only give it 2 stars out of 5. They left out people, changed the beginning and made Chairman more prominant than Nobu. They did a good job in trying to compress the movie adn still kepping story...but they lingered to long on other moment and not long enough on others. AND NOBU HAS TO ARMS WTFudge!

The American who was the finanacer after the war wasn't american at all int eh book he was appointed by the americans but was a japanese guy! WTFudge!

And thier okiya burnt! And that's how HAtsumomo left..I don't remember it going that way.....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....Hatsumomo wasn't as convincing for me....maybe it's because I'm a bit sckeptical stillI went in apprehensive and can out the same way. So I didn't have time to enjoy it. BUt I've been that way with other moives and come out loving it. I think they changed too much of things they didn't need to change. I can't believe they left the general out as her danna but they still meioned him...so when they spoke of him it didn't meake sense. The movie was a summary of the book and not a brilliant one either.

Last edited:

s2indie

HSC
i read the book like the beginning of last year so i was blurry with the details.
but i do remember in the book i hated Hatsumomo with a passion, and yet i barely did in the movie.
the colours were good, the dancing was cool - totally different to what my imagination conjured.
the ending.. was nice in a really pedo kind of way.

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
Costumes and music were excellent. The thing that shitted me most was that the characters all spoke chink-english as opposed to jap-english (which is what happens when you get chinese actors i guess). Would have been better if they'd done the whole film in japanese with subtitles.

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
Definately should have been in japanese. Would have had more credibility....

Otherwise the film was ok. not brilliant, but I guess it'll do. A ncie way to spend 2 hours on an otherwise boring afternoon. Although Gong Li was brilliant, they could have made more of the whole hatsumomo/Chiyo conflict. at least the early parts, like the way she first meets chiyo and wants the rubbish or words to that effect to get out of her way. Thats what happens when books get translated to movies i guess....But every time she grabbed chiyo/sayuri and pulled her face close, I nearly thought she was going to kiss her!

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
as stated before, american actors play german and you dont see a political rant about it.

i feel zhang ziyi did well in the english side of things. she had all the emphasises down pat, as well as a lot of emotion in it. if she didn't you wouldve probably wrote that it was hilarious.

i'm very pleased with how this movie was done. using english was a bit worrying for me, but it was very surprisingly impressive.

other than that, as a movie, i was impressed but not touched, once again.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
666_blessings said:
Costumes and music were excellent. The thing that shitted me most was that the characters all spoke chink-english as opposed to jap-english.
really?

i always had the impression that most couldnt tell the difference.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
666_blessings said:
When you're chinese and studied japanese for the hsc, you can tell the difference.
meh

cant stay the same for the majority

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
my 2 cents...

i just thought it was nice and simple. its not brutal, like many of the hollywood movies are.

it is good that there are movies like this that has a soft touch to it. a stark but welcoming contrast to the high-in-demand wizbang and action-packed movies.

HSC
N/A
I JUST watched the film for the first time today, on DVD (yes, I suck. I'm too lazy to go see a movie, so I wait till the DVD comes out, then I wait till it hits the "you may rent this for three nights" period so I have plenty of time to watch all the special features, too).

I was totally, totally blown away by Hatsumomo. I don't know much about acting, but the only time I have ever watched a movie and thought "damn they're good!" was when I watched Gong Li this afternoon. There was something so believable in the way she portrayed her character... it all looks so effortless, even though you can tell a lot of thought went into every mannerism. Oh, and she looked GORGEOUS in the film. They all looked drop-dead-gorgeous (Sayuri, Hatsumomo and Michelle's character) but I thought Gong Li was the most stunning! Wow! Still so impressed.

I was also very impressed with Michelle Yeoh's character. Mainly in the way she carried herself. Really really suited the role.

One thing that bugs me is that I can't tell if the 'Baron'? (Mameha's patron) and the Chairman are the same guy, or two different guys. I keep hearing both names, then hearing the former committed suicide, blahblahblah... are they the same person or not :/

PS: I want to start learning some fan tricks now. They look cool!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)