Memorising an essay! tips? (1 Viewer)

Guesss

HSC
Hi, plz help!!:)

I have 2 memorise an essay in 2 nights, any ideas?? i've recorded myself reading my essay on my phone and am listening to it atm! Any tips or ideas that might help me memorise it!!!

thnx. in advance :)

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I suck with english, but for memorizing.. umm.. I usually read over what I need to memorize once, then read it 2 paragraphs at a time and try to write it down from what I can remember, works like a charm! Once I memorize stuff this way, it stays in my memory for a long long time!!!! also what ever you miss out on while writing it down, just read over the paragraphs again and then write it down untill you get it perfect

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
Remember the main points, don't be too rigid with the structure. In the HSC you won't get the question in advance so practice now of writing essays with just points in mind.

studentcheese

HSC
Highlight all the key words in orange. Highlight the rest in green. Stare at the essay for around 10 minutes. Close your eyes and visualise! You would have memorised your essay by then.

HSC
Just keep on writing your paragrpahs over and over again so you know what you're saying: but don't be too rigid

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Highlight all the key words in orange. Highlight the rest in green. Stare at the essay for around 10 minutes. Close your eyes and visualise! You would have memorised your essay by then.
This works brilliantly to memorise the important things in an essay. Everything that is key to it. It is something that plays a trick on your eyes and brain... kind of like an illusion (if anyone has seen the picture where u stare at the dots and then u see an image of Jesus when you look away.. it's like this).

+1

larahrah

HSC
I put things into tables for english - a column for techniques and a column for points, and a new row for each paragraph/theme/etc. I look over this, rewrite my essay, then try and write my essay just from my table, repeat how ever many times

spence

HSC
As radical as it sounds, some people actually learn during school, hence not having to memorise essays

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I agree. I tend not to memorise the entire structure of an essay. If I write something extroadinarily great (no doubt I won't forget it because it will be very good) but I like to find all the key sentences and main arguements... making sure I am topped up on my comprehension and "word skills" ^_^

dp624

HSC
read, read, read, write, write, write, recite in head x3
over and over the 2 days
it works

dp624

HSC
read, read, read, write, write, write, recite in head x3
over and over the 2 days
it works

jet

Banned
HSC
Yeah, just read it over and over again. You'll be surprised how much that works.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
I split it up into like a flowchart, with a concept in each bubble, so youve got the structure.. and then just read over it and rewrite it, but if you remember the concepts you wont have to remember it word for word.

But I think its best if you go in without memorising since you can't know what the question will ask..

roar84eighty

HSC
N/A
Remember the main points, don't be too rigid with the structure. In the HSC you won't get the question in advance so practice now of writing essays with just points in mind.
Yeah I just make a detailed plan (with main points + sub points + important quotes) and then simplify and commit that summarised plan to memory.

Using pictures helps me with remembering the main points or headings.

allira92

HSC
break it up into key points for each paragraph like the topic sentences and such and just learn them

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)