Memorising is Boring. (1 Viewer)

champo14

HSC
Is there anyway to make myself more motviated to memorise essays and quotes etc. At the moment it isn't hard, but there's no motivation because I'm not learning anthing.

I have a good technique for memorising essays and I can easily do it, but often I find myself getting easily distracted (i.e. playing with blu-tac)

Does anyone else here find this? What are your ways of getting around it.

~untitled~

HSC
Lol, in need of getting a good mark is enough inspiration for me, to memorise i just sit and literally i copy out my essay 50 times, no exaggeration. then i know its in my head. If i find myself getting distracted i just try and think of everyone else in my class who would be studying, and think that if i dont study theyll all beat me, and that i will not get a good rank.

woho

HSC
haha sooo ESSAY MEMORISING IS SOOO BORING!! its true!

take a break every now and then! And fuel your energies with chocolate...

Trust me, it'll be worth it in the end!

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
yeah ive gotta 20 mins attention span...i usually end up building towers with my 5cent collection LOL

listen to music b4 you start, gets you pumped!

perry1989

HSC
memorising is very boring.
i hate the fact most assessments are a rememberance test.
like english and maths 2unit.
english you have to remember all these quotes and you end up remembering full essays. mathematics you have to remember all the formulas.
physics, on the other hand, give u the formulas cause its what u know that counts.
anyway i have a bad memory so i dont like it.
cheers.

perry1989

HSC
thanks for the tip zangetsu.
i just hate studying for english.
but i'll give that a go.

kloudsurfer

HSC
I never actually go about memorising essays. I dont really have to. By the time ive finished working on it and writing it up, it just sticks in my head...

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Tulipa said:
Why bothering memorising whole essays? If you know the material well enough and how to construct an essay then you're set.
True.

woho said:
haha sooo ESSAY MEMORISING IS SOOO BORING!! its true!

take a break every now and then! And fuel your energies with chocolate...

Trust me, it'll be worth it in the end!
Trust me, don't bother memorising essays and instead learn the content of your texts to demonstrate you know what you are studying.

zangetsu.xo said:
don't memorise whole essays.
write out your generic essays, highlight the main points, memorise those points and you should be sweet :)
You should memorise important textual features relevant to your Area Of Study or Module.

kloudsurfer said:
I never actually go about memorising essays. I dont really have to. By the time ive finished working on it and writing it up, it just sticks in my head...
Keep it up.

beentherdunthat

HSC
kloudsurfer said:
Yeah me too. But I read over it a couple of times to get the paragraphs right, and the notions in place. For my 'In the Wild' essay, I studied 3 poems and ended up confusing myself coz I forgot which scenario/quote went with each other!!!

lol... I don't recommend memorizing whole esssays.

1) Damn right its boring
2) It makes it a little obvious when the markers are reading it that you have regurgitated whole paragraphs XD

woho

HSC
f3nr15 said:
Trust me, don't bother memorising essays and instead learn the content of your texts to demonstrate you know what you are studying.
I find that memorising essays AND extra points is actually easier for me, i just select the specific points that will best fit the question and thus adapt the essay to the exam set question (which will be taken from somewhere in the syllabus; so a copy of that when memorising helps). It seems to work. I find that the more I memorise, the better prepared I am, and the more I can write in 40 minutes- 14 bklt pages was about my average for the trials (and 19.5 pgs for 1hr essay in ext english).

But by no means spend all your time memorising an essay when you need to write it out 50 times just to remember it, and then u wont have any time to do any more study. In that case, just memorise points/techniques etc.

:bomb:

It all depends on what u can do.

greycats

Mister Monday
HSC
Tulipa said:
Why bothering memorising whole essays? If you know the material well enough and how to construct an essay then you're set.
Exactly, just know your stuff and do practice essays, it's fairly different to memorising an essay "scaffold" cause if you get a question that doesn't work with the way you've memorised your essay you'll end up with a b-c range response instead of the a you could've got if you'd actually learnt content instead of a "scaffold"

~untitled~

HSC
I first write the essay, then write it as a scaffold. The when im memorising it, each time i write it out, i write it out according to a different question, which makes me feel safer than just learning the scaffold. And i can memorise things alright, so i have time to do that for 3 modules in a night.

zangetsu.xo

BANGSAT LOOO
anywhere with a bowl of rice and chopsticks in han
HSC
~untitled~ said:
I first write the essay, then write it as a scaffold. The when im memorising it, each time i write it out, i write it out according to a different question, which makes me feel safer than just learning the scaffold. And i can memorise things alright, so i have time to do that for 3 modules in a night.
i need to do that.
remembering 3 essays in a night is currently impossible.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I refuse to memorise stuff. It has nothing to do with intelligence at all. If I can't apply my knowledge to a question and write a reasonable answer then the question is stupid... the problem is thanks to stupid lecturers this strategy has ended badly for me a couple of times.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
noir. said:
Of course memorising has nothing to do with intelligence. The HSC itself has nothing [or very little] to do with intelligence, but memorising is something that you must do [esp. in English] if you want good marks.

I don't know about memorising for Uni work though.
Not true.

I didn't memorise at all, instead I just learnt the basics for Modern History and still got a Band 6.

jdevlin

annoyingly calm
HSC
Tulipa is right...
Knowing your texts/events as well as your concepts, and then synthesising is the best thing...

That way you can respond to a Red Herring question as well as any other. When you write essays you should be practicing writing, not memorising points, I mean if you know your texts and units, then you're pretty set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)