Memorising modern essays... (1 Viewer)

_random_

Seemed to work for english, and was thinking of applying it to modern by memorising three essays on the key events of each study, your thoughts?

Ziff

HSC
N/A
I wouldn't.

What's the point? If you know your facts you don't need to memorise anything. The other thing of course is that the questions are not uniform as they are for English, they are different depending on your topics and often use different keywords as well. In MH I've seen explain, account for, assess and some others. The questions could be on anything and often they span across multiple syllabus points anyway.

If writing essays helps you memorise facts and teachs you how to write essays for the key words they use, do it, but don't walk in with a memorised essay and expect to regurgitate it because it's unlikely it'll work.

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
Yeah, Ziff's right. BUT, you'll feel a whole lot better if you can walk into the exam knowing you have written a practise essay for every dot point in the syllabus. Don't try and memorise them cause you could end up spending more time trying to make your answer fit the question than actually answering it. But there's nothing wrong with just practising.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
More beneficial than memorizing essays would be to think about what content you would have in an essay which is focused on one of the dot points for a topic, or one of the key concepts e.g. democracy, totalitarianism (it depends on the module). That way you shouldn't get a question where you have no idea what things to write about. Modern is so broad, I doubt memorized essays would be helpful. It's probably better just to learn your facts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)