Memorising quotes (1 Viewer)

Libby01P

Banned
HSC
I'm interested to see... how do you memorise quotes, especially page numbers, and references (especially Shakespeare and Qur'an/ Bible references). Memorising numbers in other words. I'm finding it's one of my biggest problems

mystiques4

Awesome Member
HSC
I'm memorising years and relative monthes in modern history by posting a HUGE wall filled with dates in my room.

Staring at them all day helps.

PenguinOfDeath

HSC
use post it notes. put them everywhere in your house.
on the back of the bathroom door
write on the back of the post it then stick it on the outside of the shower door so you can read it
put it on the icecream in the freezer
on cereal boxes
on your mirror
on the edge of your computer monitor
on the edge of the tv

make sure you read them every time you use any of these things
it seriously works
my family isnt even suprised to see them anymore, and my little brother asked me what the AYLI quote on the back of the bathroom door meant lol

i do the same for maths formulas and important italian words that i always forget

Libby01P

Banned
HSC
Yeah I have them strung up around my room. It's like I'm writing christmas cards to myself :cry: but it's effective. I find it hardest to memorise numbers though, and not formulas, but references - they seem completely unrelated but I have to just memorise them!

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
In a test though, you don't need to know page numbers. You just have to be able to give the quote.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
+1 didn't know you needed references...
Only modern history requires dates.
Yupo, for modern i just read my highlight HTA Chronology before bed ^^

Are you guys sure for english, that we don't need at least the volume and chapter number for quotes?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Are you guys sure for english, that we don't need at least the volume and chapter number for quotes?
Yeah, you don't need it. Often it will be incorporated into your writing anyway

e.g. It is in Act 5 where Hamlet truly shows his disdain at the world. This is evidenced by the fact that 'QUOTE'

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Yeah, you don't need it. Often it will be incorporated into your writing anyway

e.g. It is in Act 5 where Hamlet truly shows his disdain at the world. This is evidenced by the fact that 'QUOTE'
I don't do that though, the reference info is always in brackets after the quote for me :/

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Yeah, that's how I usually go about it as well in an essay. However, in an exam you just don't need it. It's a waste of your time really. It's more about showing a underdstanding and justifying, rather than detailed proof.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Yeah, that's how I usually go about it as well in an essay. However, in an exam you just don't need it. It's a waste of your time really. It's more about showing a underdstanding and justifying, rather than detailed proof.
I am going to believe you over my teacher, mostly because i hate english and i can't be bothered doing any extra work for it XD

If i could hug you, i would :)

lisl

HSC
for remembering bible qu'ran refrences, just make up a refrence.
i have done it all year and it has worked everytime in sor 1

cassiecocaine

HSC
Yeah I don't reference quotes in my essay much at all, I do it for Hamlet most of all.

In drama it's a massive thing though, and if a quote came out of out Act 3, scene 1, I call it 31 and make a song out of it hahaha.

HSC
for remembering bible qu'ran refrences, just make up a refrence.
i have done it all year and it has worked everytime in sor 1
lmfao i tried that in sor a few times, and got caught :|
when i get stuck i just make up random numbers for bible quotes LOL
sor teachers at my school are freaaaaks =="

tedstedsteds

HSC
for kids doing hamlet - just lurk branagh's production he's so dramatic and crazy (plus sticks to the lines) so you never really forget the quotes -_-"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)