• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Memorising (1 Viewer)

elisabeth

HSC
What's the best trick or method you know to memorise information in the wordier humanities subjects?

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
elisabeth said:
What's the best trick or method you know to memorise information in the wordier humanities subjects?
coming from a guy this may sound weird.. but making ur notes all bright and colourful... and oh yeh.. eye catchy as well...

although i usually only use blue and red pen.. but i make the most out of the two colours...

for example.. english....

i write a whole page of quotes.. number them... i fit about 3-5 quotes on a page (I also write in large font)..... and sit there for ten minutes going over and over the numbers 1-5 with my red pen ..... that's how i work and stimulate my photographic memory... writing in big font helps the most!

if ur learning an essay... highlighting the first word of every paragraph works well for me....

oh yeh..

and say ur writing an essay.. one that u wish to memorise...

number the pages (top right hand corner- or left whatever works best for u).... and remember what the frst word of each page is...and link it to the number (once again photographic memory)

numbering is a very effective way of memorising stuff... i often use numbers to replace notes in point form... rather than having

I'd have

4.. all being colourful and stuff

my point being.... making the page ur trying to memorise as colourful and exciting as possible should do the trick.. even if it may take u longer to do.... when the time comes to memorise... its way more fun!!!...

ok.. im gonna be quite now!!!

Last edited:

DanielleM

HSC
physician you make me laugh :)

Elizabeth, try making songs about the stuff your learning
thats always fun...
just dont get carried away with the song :p

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
I find writing it down many times useful. However, when you're writing, make sure you're not listening to music or concentrating on anything else. Make sure that you're paying attention to every word you write, and copy only when you don't know what comes next.

For German, I wrote the tables of adjective endings so many times. I must say, I still haven't really mastered it. :p Advice?

physician

HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
I find writing it down many times useful. However, when you're writing, make sure you're not listening to music or concentrating on anything else. Make sure that you're paying attention to every word you write, and copy only when you don't know what comes next.

For German, I wrote the tables of adjective endings so many times. I must say, I still haven't really mastered it. :p Advice?
I don't know the first thing about German.... but another technique would be
to act as a teacher... except ur both the teacher and student...

i've been doing this with physics.. as 2 of the modules werent taught well and were done in a rush... so i pretend im a student and a teacher... and i begin to teach myslef (also being the student).... and clear up any uncertainties by repetaing some of the harder concepts... when im confident enough... i chuck away my notes and pretend im teaching a whole class... when u feel u can teach what u've learnt to - at least- urself.. u move on....

u cant balme me for sounding a little psycho.. im trying to make studying as fun as possible...!!!

speaking of studying, maybe i should go and do a little myself....!!!

Mandy101

HSC
Acronyms!! For Ancient History, I arrange all each sub-section (for eg, the Causes of the Persian Wars) into a single word (or two words).

For English Ext 1 and History Ext I'm memorising an entire essay, then adapting that to different questions from past papers.

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
record it and listen to it, or explain it to someone through your own undetstanding. i find that works well with me.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
I hate stupid agreements, languages are the hardest to study for, you can't really study that much for it and ur tested on everything u have learnt ever

rnitya_25 said:
record it and listen to it, or explain it to someone through your own undetstanding. i find that works well with me.
I'm the same, usually it means u are an auditory learner :)

nwatts

HSC
If you plan on memorising essays, I'll find someone to come and punch you.

Enough said.

physician

HSC
fakingtheday said:
don't memorise anything. Make it all up, it will make for fun times come december 17
lovely point... for advanced i plan to memorise the quotes i memorised for my trials... so its all set.... its funny where quotes lead to in an essay....

ive only ever memorised 1 essay ...ever... which was for module 1... and i did it for my trial examination.. it was the highest mark i ever obtained for an essay.... 18/20... if ur not that good at english sometimes memorising is the answer... i actually memorised 6 pages and ended up writing 10.5 in the exam.. so even then i added a whole load of exciting ingredients to my response...

Ok Ok i wont memorise an essay...

I confess, I don't want 'nwatts' to hire someone to punch me.....hehe... getting somone else to do ur dirty work for u...

meh i guess it's whats best for u.... ive been against memrosing essays the whole yr... but getting that mark in the trial is pritty tempting...

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
nwatts said:

Enough said.
Just for that, I'm going to memorise ALL my essays, to the exact WORD, and not even change them to address the new question.

In fact, I'm going to DELIBERATELY ADDRESS THE CORRESPONDING 2004 HSC PAPER QUESTION IN ALL OF MY ENGLISH ESSAYS, FOLLOWED BY MY BAND-6-LEVEL (for that question) MEMORISED RESPONSE.

TO THE WORD!!!

nwatts

HSC
I'm talking especially English.

People throw away marks. While it's probably better for me if more people crap out, there are way too many who pledge themselves to memorising essays, instead of thinking and writing effectively on the exam day. Answering the question is often the difference between an A and a D. You may write brilliant, detailed, sophisticated work... that counts for nothing as it has nothing to do with the question asked.

But if you insist on doing it, because it "works for you", then go right ahead. Expect - a) crap exam marks come december and b) a punch from one of my accomplices.

elisabeth

HSC
nwatts said:

Enough said.
We're talking bio, modern and geography here, kthnx. Jam packed with content to memorise... not like English were you write practically the same thing every time.

And besides... the worse other people do, the better for you, no? But shucks, I'm flattered you care. :p

nwatts

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
Just for that, I'm going to memorise ALL my essays, to the exact WORD, and not even change them to address the new question.

In fact, I'm going to DELIBERATELY ADDRESS THE CORRESPONDING 2004 HSC PAPER QUESTION IN ALL OF MY ENGLISH ESSAYS, FOLLOWED BY MY BAND-6-LEVEL (for that question) MEMORISED RESPONSE.

TO THE WORD!!!
Do that and you won't get a punch, you'll just get a pat.

nwatts

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
Yay, a pat!

What do I get if they're word for word exactly the same as the published Standards Package Response?
Two pats and a straitjacket. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)