Memorize (1 Viewer)

bright_angell

Hey guys- ill be more specific this time...does anyone have any tips on memorising a monologue in a very short space of time- or just memorizing in general-also...what do you guys do when your in the middle of a performance and nerves get the better of you/or u 4get a line?
Do you cover it up with a made up line? skip to whereever ur mind takes you? or freak out and run off stage crying? I assume the latter wouldnt be an option since this is yr 12...

anyhoo-let me know where u guys stand with this sort of thing...its pretty important thing to consider because it CAN happen...it is the the hsc....

god i hate that word!

chingly_choo

Bustin' this crib
HSC
Just memorize each paragraph then constantly say it back to yourself.

For example; you memorize para 1, then you say it back to yourself word perfect, then you go and memorize para2, say it back to yourself then say para 1 AND two back to yourself. build on it so that by the end you know the entire monologue well and can recite the first part so easily.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
I go through scripts line by line, learn them, block them, move on to the next, and build on it like chingly_choo said. it takes a bit of time, but not so long that you couldnt do it over few nights of rehearsal.
and if i ever forget a line or get stuck i either quickly ad - lib until i find myself back at a point where i can keep going properly, or else busy myself with an action like pouring a drink for example to give myself time to remember. if you know the character well enough then improvising shouldnt be too hard. good luck :p

ps - whatever you do, dont freak out and run off. there is always a way around it, even if it means veering off in a completely different direction to what the script says. i did that once in year 8 lol.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
I think that you have to try different methods and see which works for you.

I know that the only way i will remember lines is if i write them down, like doing lines on the blackboard at school, it drums it into your head with repetition.

However, this is very methodical, and requires a lot of rehearsal afterwards to get everything other than the actual words down pat.

If i forget a line, i hope that i am well rehearsed enough that i am able to continue on in the characters voice. That's where practice comes in, if you know what you are saying, it doesn't even matter if you are sticking to the script.

THE EXAMINERS WILL NEVER KNOW IF U MAKE UP A LINE. However, if you look blank, breathe "shit" under your breath then cautiously continue, they will. Keep confident and trust yourself.

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
The most common way of learning a script is of course by practice...how it is all very well just saying that and not providing any other help!

You should know about breaking your script up into beats and units, if you don't know yet...you should ask your teacher. This breaks up the script into 'blocks' that have a common theme, line of subject, emotion or even action.

You have to GET UP and do it, it's all very well sitting around reciting your lines...but you have to be able to move to the lines without getting confused about what you are saying next or even where you are next going...

The two should be moulded together. Good luck.

bright_angell

Yeah - i figured, lol- and no i actually have never heard of this beat sections you talk of..hmm...so much for 4 years of drama- but yeah- im practising now and blocking as i go but i am constantly stopping to remember a line- despite the fact that ive written the script over 20 times to memorize it- but i figure its my nerves...and it is here that i need help- my nerves ruin me!

thanx anyway dudes!

steffo

steph
HSC
if you are JUST having line troubles, and you have already begun blocking, leave the blocking for the moment for concentrate on getting lines down pat- it's easier to block and mess about on stage when u are cruisin with your lines.

tricks i have learnt along the way include...
walk around, as said before, while doing your lines. not necesarilly as you have blocked your piece, just wandering. moving about gives your memory more for some reason. read through with script in hand, looking up and down to it when you need it once, or twice if u think u need to. then put it down for a few runs, keep wandering around. around your house, around the school halls, everywhere. mumble it under your breath as you drive (if you drive) or on the bus.

another good one is, while you are walking, chuck a ball or something up and down. the extra movement also gives more identity to the lines and makes u remember them. it actually works. just chucking a ball around, even if u hav no faith that it will work. it does. magically.

if you sit down and break up your mono into sections it's good too. paragraphs or ideas, and then highlight the bits you continue to forget. there are always bits you have no troubles remembering, then there r troublesome bits. highlight them, and you can sometimes begin to havea photographic memory of those particular bits.

remember, it is okay to pause in the monologue. if you forget a line, as someone has said already, just ACT like you haven't. people don't even notice if an actor repeats some lines by accident. just do some relaxation things before going on stage to focus your mind. it really helps. it can look a bit wanky but dont let it bother you. u will do a far better performance if u are focused and aware of yourself before u go on. no good going on cold- bigger riks of forgetting lines and getting really nervous.

do some deep breaths in, do a spinal roll (classic relaxtion tool!) or two, and do some mouth and voice wamr ups. mouth wwarm ups arent just voice warm ups either, they are two separate things.

good mouth and voice warm ups include doing some hard 'F,F,F' sounds, then some "S,S,S", then a big "SHHHHHHHHHH" horsey sounds (not a 'neigh' but that 'shhhh' sound they make where you let your lips loose so they can vibrate), where you loosen everything.

they are my faves.
just make sure u feel fully prepared, thats the best way to beat nerves.
break a leg.

Gummy_bear

HSC
when i have to learn lines, i tape me saying them onto a tape and listen to them, when im driving, before i go to sleep, and any other time i can. it really helps me when i listen to myself saying them out loud.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)