Memory (1 Viewer)

jayz

walking
How do u go about memorising your work? (Talking out loud, repeatitively writing, using acronyms, etc)
I seem lose my memory completely (especially stats for economics) in the middle of exams. Is this due to stress, lack of memory or low concentration levels during exam?
What's the best way to memorise?

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Its stress, cos you get in there and think 'right, Ive got to summons up everything I know in this amount of time and get it down on paper'

lillaila

clear as ice
HSC
One way is to be very calm...if i can remember right, Today Tonight said smthng about recalling more when ur calm...that's when ur mind is relax.................just breathe. :)

kow_dude

HSC
memorising is difficult ~
i jst study study study....

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
I have a friend who records her notes onto tape and then sits there revising her notes and listening to them. It actually works, she does pretty well.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Everyone will memorise differently...it depends what kind of learner you are. Personally, I have to sort of "act stuff out" to get it into my brain...for instance-I remember trying to learn about Protein Synthesis for biology, and I drew a picture of a cell, then got my sharpener and pretended it was mRNA, and put it in the nucleus then dragged it into the cytoplasm...it sounds totally ridiculous, it worked! And 6 or 7 months later when we were talking about it again at UNI, I could still remember it all perfectly, whereas if I had have just read the text a heap of times, I probably would've been lost. However-for some, doing it that way would have been a complete waste of time.

Rahul

Dead Member
some one said it, repeat....repeat.....repeat, then apply it. do heaps of q's then u'll understand the concept of whatever u are doing. then u wont have any troubles. easier said than done, but no one said it would b easy.

the idea of putting the notes onto a tape or cd seems like a good idea. might take some time to set them up tho.

jayz

walking
That's exactly to the point, memorising takes alot of time.
Even though the best way to memorise is to practice, practice and more practice, there must be other methods which are more time efficient. (wondering if anyone has any other good suggestions)

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
If you're trying to remember small points, flash cards work for most people. You can read a fact in a book and think you know it, but when push comes to shove and you have to recall a fact from thin air, you may realise you never actually knew it at all. Flash cards help to test you can actually remember stuff-not just understand the basic gist. Just make sure you shuffle them lots when you're going through them, otherwise you'll just remember the order of your answers.

Exeter

Resident Megaphone
HSC
i relate stuff to real life, even though recalling the thing is prolli as long, or harder than the actual thing itself i find it much easier

Giant Lobster

HSC
When it comes to memorising, I just read the fact, and try to link it to my general understanding of the topic and explain it using logic. So when I have to recall, I don't recall specifically, but rather I just deduce from logic, so its not really remembering..

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I use flashcards too, especially for dates in Modern History, and formulas in maths. I have been meaning to record my notes on CD so I can listen to them over and over but our house is never quiet enough for me to get the chance!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)