Messy Handrwiting (1 Viewer)

jsb8189

HSC
Anyone elso have this problem?

Honestly at times, I couldn't even write the word 'journey'

Still managed to scrap out 38 (10,12,16) brilliant pages...but just hope the markers can read it.

Anyone knows how they go about deciphering that garbage I wrote??

sideshowtim

HSC
Well if they can't read it...they won't mark it. Should've gotten special provisions mate (even though I'm completely against them for people with the terrible disability of "poor handwriting).

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
im sure it cant be that bad
markers know how much pressure you are under, so they probably wont mark against you if your handwriting was bad....unless it was defintely unreadable, i wouldnt worry about it too much

blond_e

HSC
Well I heard that if a marker can't read a specific word they pass it on to another marker to get their opinion and the process continues.. but then again I'm not sure (my PD teacher never knows what she's talking about :) )

Bricnic

Lookatmy Member
HSC
AFAIK that's correct- one of our English teachers is actually a HSC marker, and from memory she said the same thing.

36 pages!? I wrote a mere 15... (4.5, 4.5, 6) Oh well I guess quality over quantity.. but that doesn't reassure me overly much when i think of the "quality writing" I produced :p

blond_e

HSC
Bricnic said:
AFAIK that's correct- one of our English teachers is actually a HSC marker, and from memory she said the same thing.

36 pages!? I wrote a mere 15... (4.5, 4.5, 6) Oh well I guess quality over quantity.. but that doesn't reassure me overly much when i think of the "quality writing" I produced :p
People probably overdid it.. but then again you have to consider the size of writing and also how messy someone's writing is - if it's messy there's bound to be many words/sentences scribbled out and thus taking up more lines.

sideshowtim

HSC
Still, when a marker stops to ask about a word in the essay it ruins the flow entirely.

Tim035

HSC
Lol...So many people trying to reassure themselves or find reasons as to why another person who wrote 20 more pages then them will still only get the same mark.
I've got preety lousy handwriting (being left handed doesn't help) and managed 31 pages in the exam with a bit of time to look over and fix some of the words that were a bit sloppy.

I'm preety sure though that what happens is if the teacher can't read the writing it goes to another teacher, if they can't read the writing it goes to a head teacher. The head teacher then writes in red pen above the words the other markers were confused about to her best knowledge as to what they say and then it gets remarked. And have you had a look at some of the exemplar responces for English, especially ex 1 english. It looks like a kindergarten student using a pen for the first time.

eddybiskin

HSC
jsb8189 said:
Anyone elso have this problem?

Honestly at times, I couldn't even write the word 'journey'

Still managed to scrap out 38 (10,12,16) brilliant pages...but just hope the markers can read it.

Anyone knows how they go about deciphering that garbage I wrote??

38 pages?!?!? shit i onli did 23 (6,8,9) how did u manage it? i hav big writing n i finished just in time

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
i think most of the time if a marker can roughly work out a few letters of the word, or the 'shape' of it, they will make a pretty good assumption as to what it is.

jsb8189

HSC
Tim035 said:
Lol...So many people trying to reassure themselves or find reasons as to why another person who wrote 20 more pages then them will still only get the same mark.
I've got preety lousy handwriting (being left handed doesn't help) and managed 31 pages in the exam with a bit of time to look over and fix some of the words that were a bit sloppy.

I'm preety sure though that what happens is if the teacher can't read the writing it goes to another teacher, if they can't read the writing it goes to a head teacher. The head teacher then writes in red pen above the words the other markers were confused about to her best knowledge as to what they say and then it gets remarked. And have you had a look at some of the exemplar responces for English, especially ex 1 english. It looks like a kindergarten student using a pen for the first time.

Just wondering where I ould get a copy of that? You have a scanner?

Much appreciative.

Tim035

HSC
jsb8189 said:
Just wondering where I ould get a copy of that? You have a scanner?

Much appreciative.
Do you mean Ex english exemplars?
Yeah I've got a photocopier give me an email address and ill have them for you, probley not till after english on monday though.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
The markers are all experienced teachers and are good at reading handwriting of all qualities. However, for the exceptionally bad scripts, they will dictate the script to one another in order to try and get some flow. So a lot of effort is made to ensure that every script is marked fairly.

But yes, it is good to have neat handwriting.

~Sw33ti3~

hate uni.... but why :S
HSC
dun worri, last year some std english student had such appalling hand writing, that the ppl typed it up and published it....

and the published band 6 reponse for section 2 was horrifying.. i couldn't read it, but it was still good.. they mark it. they have to. they are gooood! trust me. i am horrible, they always mark mine and i don't get terrible marks

Ricky09

HSC
One of my teachers, who is a marker, couldn't read a response at all. He then passed it to another marker who was only making out every 2 or 3 words, they then went to the head market who had to sit down for like 2 hours and rewrite the essay so it could be marked.

nadzi

HSC
WEll my handwritting is'nt to good ....its just terribel running writting and well majority of HSC markers are very good at deciphering words the papers get marked wice...but if theirs uncertanties they'll take it to a 3rd marker...however even though they do this having bad handwerittiing does loose the flow of the entire essay.......

dnt worry though they try to give us marks not take them away i wrote approx 28 pages al up i tried goin back to read the end om my creative writting and i couldnt....so i feel really sorry fo rthe marker.......

oh and another thing theres no way i could get special provisions bcse theres no wayi can type faster than i write and i couldnt of got a writer bcse i write immedietly what comes into my head and theres no way that would of worked....

Good luck in da rest of exams

JBakaka

HSC
from what i heard, if they dont understand a word or two, they just skip it and keep going but i guess if they dont understand whole sections then yea they'd have to pass it on

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)