• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Metonymy and Synecdoche (1 Viewer)

BigMac123

HSC
yo ~

umm yeah dunt really wanna go into a big introduction so i'll just jump right into it.

my tutor's been going on about how much more effective it is to use say synecdoche in place of adverbs and how it builds up the imagery and etc. so i was wondering if you fellow bos'ers could help me out by explaining how metonymy and synecdoche work (how to do it) and a few examples of each.

thanks heaps in advance !!! :eek:

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Metonymy is the use of one word for another, which it is closely connected with symbolically, causally, physically, or otherwise.

In the e.g. below scepter, learning, and physic here stand for king, scholar, and doctor.

Shakespeare said:
The scepter, learning, physic, must
All follow this, and come to dust.
A synecdoche is similar to metonymy but more specific; it refers to specific parts of an object used to represent the whole thing. You'll find this technique is employed more in Romantic (both the movement and the genre) poetry specifically Petrarchan love sonnets a la Romeo & Juliet style as the beloved is glorified and their trivial physical details expressed in hyperbolic terms. It is also used to undermine characters i.e. the use of "Hands" in place of "men" in Charles Dickens' Hard Times.

I definitely wouldn't recommend this for anything so look closely at what your short story is attempting to explore and consider if the use of metonymy and synecdoche would enhance your story rather than materialise as a form of purple prose (think Paul Clifford). Also it's better if you just ask your tutor how to employ these techniques because they would know what you are trying to do and should be able to dig up some egs for you in stories from your genre/style to make the process of subtly and effectively incorporating these techniques smooth for you.

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
metonymy and synecdoche?

oh god.
i definately am outta my league..
i thought the use of alliteration was sophisticated!
haha jk
:)

jimmayyy

HSC
IMHO this isnt a technique that can be forced - if you are not naturally skilled at its use (or at the very least have the ability to learn how to use it properly) its use in your work can make you look plain retarded. you will know when it is right to use, and if u dont - dont use it. better to be basic and correct than complex and incorrect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)