Mid Year Progress for HSC. Need some direction (1 Viewer)

ohnose

HSC
Hey there,

So far we've finished two internal assessment tasks per subject at school. I'm quite happy with my marks for every subject except for 3U and 4U. Bit nervous if I can make a comeback and still obtain an E4.

My marks have been so far:

--------------------------------
MEX1

First Task: 72% (Weighting is 20%)
Second Task: 83% (Weighting is 30%)
--------------------------------
MEX2

First Task: 70% (Weighting is 20%)
Second Task: 80% (Weighting is 30%)

I'd really appreciate any advice or suggestions for HSC direction :)

Thank you so much

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
It's good to see that you have improved in your second assessment in both 3U and 4U. You should try to keep improving for a better chance of getting an E4.

Your ranks are also important in such a case. However, if you maintain such marks I believe an E4 is possible because both 3U and 4U scale pretty well.

ohnose

HSC
It's good to see that you have improved in your second assessment in both 3U and 4U. You should try to keep improving for a better chance of getting an E4.

Your ranks are also important in such a case. However, if you maintain such marks I believe an E4 is possible because both 3U and 4U scale pretty well.
Thanks so much for the advice! I'm currently ranked top six in both subjects at the moment.

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
Definitely plausible.
If you look at rawmarks.info, getting 83 in MEX1 is equivalent to getting above 93 in 2020 which was a E4.
In MEX2 however getting a percent of 80 has varied and is probably a E3, so you might want to keep it up and try improve some more!
If 83 in MEx1 is an E4 and 80 in MEx2 is an E3, there doesn’t seem to be much of an incentive to study the (much) harder topics of MEx2.

In 2015, my daughter studied MEx2. The ’class‘ group, comprising three students, went at the pace of the weakest student who was barely coping with 2U maths but he was keen to do MEx2 to prepare for Engineering at Uni. He eventually dropped out halfway through the year, but the group was well behind schedule to cover half the course and the other remaining student was slower than my daughter. He, too, eventually dropped out when, three weeks before the HSC, they’d only covered 70% of the course. As the last remaining MEx2 student, my daughter had to gallop through the rest of the topics which was probably a waste of time as there wasn’t enough time to properly digest the material. She estimates that she only attempted three quarters of the MEx2 HSC paper, but she did get an E4.

Last edited:

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
If you can post copies of the assessment tasks, that might help us to give you some more feedback. 70% on an assessment task that the median student in the state would score 50% on is obviously much better than 70% on an assessment task that the median student in the state would score 90% on. These are obviously exaggerations but you do need to consider raw marks by reference to the other students at your school (ie. ranking) and comparing to the state as a whole.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
In 2015, my daughter studied MEx2. The ’class‘ group, comprising three students, went at the pace of the weakest student who was barely coping with 2U maths but he was keen to do MEx2 to prepare for Engineering at Uni. He eventually dropped out halfway through the year, but the group was well behind schedule to cover half the course and the other remaining student was slower than my daughter. He, too, eventually dropped out when, three weeks before the HSC, they’d only covered 70% of the course. As the last remaining MEx2 student, my daughter had to gallop through the rest of the topics which was probably a waste of time as there wasn’t enough time to properly digest the material. She estimates that she only attempted three quarters of the MEx2 HSC paper, but she did get an E4.
Eagle Mum, I am sad to hear of your daughter's experience. It sounds like the school was managing the situation poorly. If anyone is having a similar experience, I urge you to speak to the teacher / head of department etc, and with backing from your parents. How much you might be able to achieve is going to depend on the school, but I do not think it is reasonable to expect you as a student to just cope with a situation like this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)