Mid-year transfer from other uni (1 Viewer)

cormacshaw

HSC
N/A
Hey,

So I'm a B. Comp Sci / B. Laws student at UNE, but given I live literally 30 mins from UNSW (and heck most other unis in Sydney) I'd love to know what the chances are of transferring to UNSW in Sem 2 with a GPA of 5.5-6.5 (depending on exam results that release later this month).

Thanks

ifrit112

HSC
Doing well is a factor that gets considered. I'm not sure if you have to apply though UAC or the uni directly, particularly with law which is quite competitive.

If you are planning on transferring, make sure you ask around for what gets you credit points at UNSW and what doesn't. For example, in computer science the level of math is quite solid and the comp courses are not your intro to programming type course. Hence you may need to complete a higher level course 'equivalent' at UNE so you don't waste your time there :)

Overall, it is very much possible to transfer in S2 and do so smoothly, as long as you have a good work ethic and make decisions that work in your favor for the future.

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
The University of New England all the way up in Armidale you mean?

You must apply through UAC as you are an external student.

As you've finished the HSC in 2013, you have not yet completed 48 uoc - they will look at your ATAR for admission purely if you apply for Mid-Intake for 2014. And even though if you have, you may still consider looking at 25% of your ATAR.

Last edited:

peri24

HSC
As you've finished the HSC in 2013, you have not yet completed 48 uoc - they will look at your ATAR for admission purely if you apply for Mid-Intake for 2014. And even though if you have, you may still consider looking at 25% of your ATAR.
dis 1.

cormacshaw

HSC
N/A
Thanks for all the info everyone. Interesting to learn the differences b/w the Comp Sci courses at UNE and UNSW. Indeed, the UNE course features very little mathematics (basic maths and science is all that's required). And yes I'm an external.

W/ regards to the ATAR I should have finished 8 courses (i.e. one full-time year) of the degree by the time I would enter UNSW in Sem 2. The HSC date listed on my profile was an indication (I should probably change that - haven't been on BOS in ages). Due to my pretty unique circumstances I didn't do HSC/Year 12, was able to get into Biomed (and later transfer to law/comp sci) whilst my high school cohort would've still been in Year 12 (i.e. a year earlier) due to some tertiary stuff I had already completed. Basically, I got lucky.

As for transfer apparently I have to go through UAC so looking forward to putting my app in soon - before April when the cut off is iirc. Just waiting on my Trimester 3 2013 UNE exam results.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)