might drop 2u maths to general help me decide please (1 Viewer)

koop21

HSC
N/A
hey guys, i wanna get into the IT field, particularly in the Game designing field. i want to drop to general for many reasons, its easier, my current 2u teacher is bad at teaching but his really good at repeating stories nothing more, and i fink i have a higher chance at getting a better mark in general.
do you guys fink its wise dropping down? or do i need maths 2u to get into the IT field?

koop21

HSC
N/A
hmmm =/ i did bad, didnt try though. my teacher is bad, tells storys instead of teaching, 10mins explaining breifly, 40mins on storys

HSC
okay let's be honest here 2U maths is like what most courses in most unis see as assumed knowledge however NOT MUCH (aint too clear but when u read ur UAC guide) see 2U mathematics as a subject prerequisite for example in MQ, UNCLE, wollongong and most unis if not ALL allow you to do a bridging course for maths as it's normalli highly demanded and essential to help a student complete their course successfully. So my advice is talk to your career advisor or something about what you want to do and he/she will help you through your decision. In the end remember that if you fail really bad in 2U then it is best you drop it because it's not realli worth it to get a band 2/3/4 or something whilst u can easily get a band 5/6 in general maths. However let me repeat that 2U maths IS good and WILL help you especially in the gaming area and any other area pretty much that requires programming knowledge etc as you will notice that in the UAC guides it shows that most of these highly programming courses for IT esp. engineering even recommend u have a sound band 4 for maths ext 1.

Last edited:

koop21

HSC
N/A
wooo, nicely said. you make a really good point there.

uniform

!!!
HSC
I know a bunch of people who dropped down to general in my school and their marks didn't improve, even if they said it was 'easier'. General is completely different to 2U, it's not like dropping from ext1 maths to 2U.

In terms of IT in uni, assumed knowledge /prerequisites differs from place to place. Where do you want to study? If it's assumed knowledge, yes, you can take a bridging course. But some places even have Ext1 maths as assumed knowledge..

In the end it depends on whether 2U is really going to bring your UAI down. If it does, to the point where you won't be able to get into IT, then maybe consider general... but you said you "didn't try"... why didn't you try? why don't you try from now on? it's not too late. I had a bad geography teacher who only taught for 10 minutes, poorly, and told us just to do the rest ourselves. I pretty much taught most of the course to myself, as did the class. You just have to deal with teachers like that and get over it, and not blame them for doing bad in something. Get a tutor if you can afford it, or ask if you can spend 1 on 1 time with your teacher or other teachers at times during the week.

ccc123

HSC
koop21 said:
hmmm =/ i did bad, didnt try though. my teacher is bad, tells storys instead of teaching, 10mins explaining breifly, 40mins on storys
Well, trying would be a start. Having said that, if you simply dont think its worth the work, just drop.

HSC
uniform said:
I know a bunch of people who dropped down to general in my school and their marks didn't improve, even if they said it was 'easier'. General is completely different to 2U, it's not like dropping from ext1 maths to 2U.
I second that I, for one did general maths. Most of my friends who did 2U alwais questioned me why I still did so poorly in it and were saying that I can't complain that general maths was hard because I am allowed to use a calculator and that it was simple maths and that I obviously wasn't trying hard >.< basically so I asked them to help me out and when they read what I had to do they were pretty much stumped because general maths is very different to 2U and even my tutor (and she did 3U maths) couldnt help me sometimes because she didnt do the content I did.

Actually the best bet is like what all the others said: get a tutor, speak to the maths department/teacher(s) and possibly ask around and look and examine (closely) on what content is taught in general maths - you shouldn't make assumptions/decisions based on what others say as it's you who has to do the course. And basically just think long and hard before making your decision :) and try hard!

Last edited:

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
General Mathematics is still difficult in its own respect and as someone mentioned earlier it is different from dropping Ext. 1.

loser101 said:
get a decent tutor then man.

i can tell u if u cant do 2u maths then game desing and programing is not for you.

seriosly 2u maths is so easy its not funny
I have to agree in particular with the second part.

haron

HSC
I have to agree with everyone, 2 units math is not so hard if you try your best. Get a tutor, he/she can help you out alot.

If I remeber correct it require minum 2units math, for IT area. You could check the couse in the UAC book and it tell you the assum knowledge or speak to your career advice. 2units math could give you wide range on chosing the couse later on. If you still want to drop to general math then borrow some old general math papers and try to do it to see how different and how much you can do. It will be alot different.

Good luck.

Jerruy

HSC
suprisingly very few universities have mathematics as a subject prerequisite. Remember, when it says assumed knowledge, if you did not do the course, you are in no way disadvantaged when attempting to gain entry to a course. However, you may find the subject slightly harder than other students who did maths during their hsc year. But bridging courses are always abailable

Cabrera1990

HSC
exactely! if you feel comfortable in doing so do it, dont let us decide its for the best mate!

Jerruy

HSC
Cabrera1990 said:
exactely! if you feel comfortable in doing so do it, dont let us decide its for the best mate!
i did.. got 96 uai

pythag87

HSC
If you are going to drop, drop ASAP. as many have said the courses are significantly different and to catch up the sooner the better.

If you are going to stay you need to almost ignore the teacher and work your way through the course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)