Mind and Morality at usyd (1 Viewer)

kiniki

HSC
so my school just informed us of this course that usyd is running for high-achieving year 11 students

HSC courses: Mind and Morality - The University of Sydney

i realise that it costs nearly $800 but i would love to do it, seeing as it gives us 6 credit points or whatever when you finish it but my question is, how do they define high-achieving? it looks like all selective schools participate in this course and i come from a regular catholic school with my half yearly report tarnished by my ext maths result (v.good excuse) and what i think is a shit mark in my english - which i was devestated with coz its not the norm for me. anyways, what level of calibre in students are they looking for and is the course itself really hard/sophisticated?

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
If you're accelerating in maths, they may consider you to be a high-achiever.
Your best bet would be to talk to the careers counsellor at your school, but all the site says about eligibility is:
Eligibility for the course

Any student who has an interest in the topics covered and the ability and aptitude to undertake university-level study is welcome to apply. Only students who will have commenced Year 11 may apply to enrol in the course.
So as long as your school thinks you're capable of that level of study, you should be fine.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
You don't need to be very good tho.

I know someone at my school who is doing this with no top-3 ranks in any of his subjects.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
You don't need to be very good tho.

I know someone at my school who is doing this with no top-3 ranks in any of his subjects.
I know someone who did this course with not doing any hard or "high scaling" subjects and only decent ranks...

Just make sure that you want to go to USyd or it'll be a waste of time :)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Looks kind of interesting... shame I don't want to go to Sydney Uni... ;)

kimvv

HSC
i am currently doing m & m.

i personally dont find it that hard. maths has absolutely nothing to do with this so you know, every mark on ur report isnt exactly paramount to whether u shud do m&m or not.

just know how to write an essay.

one thing you should really consider though is whether you have enough time or not. i just had my last lesson last week and am so glad its over simply coz i have my afternoon back. it is an extra unit. it's not quite ongoing work but there's time management etc. because you end up getting home pretty late andif you stack that on top of a billion other co-curriculars or before/after school classes, well the consequences aren't hard to guess.

most of us in the class are indeed from selective schools - the two sydneys and north sydneys - and that can mainly be attributed to the fact that we host m&m. but where people come from makes absolutely no diff in the class.

hope this helped.

Misericorde

HSC
You can transfer the 6 USYD credit points to other Australian unis, I think. Just a couple of forms and whatnot.
It's a fun course; just make sure you like writing essays, because there's 4000 words of essay-writing altogether.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
You can transfer the 6 USYD credit points to other Australian unis, I think. Just a couple of forms and whatnot.
It's a fun course; just make sure you like writing essays, because there's 4000 words of essay-writing altogether.
I do a minimum of 1000 per essay and that's just preliminary English crap... the teacher usually doesn't want too much but I've only ever gone under 1000 once really. I don't find writing difficult :)... a 4000 word essay in one big lot pushes my limits though..... but I think you said altogether, so that's real simple.

kiniki

HSC
i am currently doing m & m.

i personally dont find it that hard. maths has absolutely nothing to do with this so you know, every mark on ur report isnt exactly paramount to whether u shud do m&m or not.

just know how to write an essay.

one thing you should really consider though is whether you have enough time or not. i just had my last lesson last week and am so glad its over simply coz i have my afternoon back. it is an extra unit. it's not quite ongoing work but there's time management etc. because you end up getting home pretty late andif you stack that on top of a billion other co-curriculars or before/after school classes, well the consequences aren't hard to guess.

most of us in the class are indeed from selective schools - the two sydneys and north sydneys - and that can mainly be attributed to the fact that we host m&m. but where people come from makes absolutely no diff in the class.

hope this helped.
yeah it has heaps, thanks. okay so i only have my ext english classes on tuesday afternoons and i don't do any sort of sport or any other cocurricular activities so i guess i'll manage?
is there alot of homework/study that you guys have to do at home?

i'm just worried about not getting accepted coz i'll be weighed up against a bunch of selective school kids :(

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
wait, this counts to 1 unit of your ATAR? and it takes 6 months to do?

kimvv

HSC
essays, quality expected etc: i did the first essay in one day (literally) and got a distinction. so not that high. and they give you a guide on how to write essays. just have a good intro though. but then 2nd time round, i actualy put effort in and didn't do so well. but then again, i didn't quite answer the question (realised that afterwards)

h/w: i have done none. zilch. zero. just read lecture notes and selected parts of readings.

being chosen: everyone i know who applied got in. but then again, all the people who i know applied came from selective schools that host m&m. and even if you think u won't get in. it doesnt hurt to try. and the "better" kids in the class rn't necessarily the selective ones.

speedofsound

HSC
my principal has no idea who i am.

invalid mechanism for determining entrance.

b3li3v3r

HSC
N/A
I'm currently doing the mind and morality course and it is a worthwhile experience and you should just try! They don't focus on one subject but you as a student as a whole. So go for it!

Good luck =]

kiniki

HSC
thanks guys :) i'm just really worried that my english mark is going to be detrimental, i mean 74% what the fuck. will 97% for ext eng make up for it? i don't want to meet my principal (who also has no idea who i am) and have him look through my report and laff :mad1:

cr1cket

HSC
Oh that course sounds very interesting. But I would have to wait until year eleven.
And I think my English (Standard) would mean I cannot do it.

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
remember the marks don't count towards your atar - it only counts as part of the requirement for the number of units you have to do in yr 11...
waste of 800 then. Unless you want to go to Usyd Uni and have 800 lying around

rm93

HSC
N/A
so my school just informed us of this course that usyd is running for high-achieving year 11 students

HSC courses: Mind and Morality - The University of Sydney

i realise that it costs nearly $800 but i would love to do it, seeing as it gives us 6 credit points or whatever when you finish it but my question is, how do they define high-achieving? it looks like all selective schools participate in this course and i come from a regular catholic school with my half yearly report tarnished by my ext maths result (v.good excuse) and what i think is a shit mark in my english - which i was devestated with coz its not the norm for me. anyways, what level of calibre in students are they looking for and is the course itself really hard/sophisticated?
i've been accepted/offered a place to do that course (only person in my school), , but i need to say yes/no if i am going to do it.
i dont want to...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)