Mini Laptop vs Writing Notes...? (1 Viewer)

Mini Laptop vs Writing Notes

• Mini Laptop

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Write notes (in note book)

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

UNSW !!
HSC
Hey Everyone,

I usually write my notes, but I hear that mini laptops are the go at uni (esp. UNSW) - I have been looking into them and have found some possible options.

What do you guys think?
Bring a notebook to write in, or type your notes on a mini laptop?

Thanks !!

sunny

meh.
HSC
Depends on the subject...if the content is more abstract/graphic then pen and paper.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
i find it better writing up notes, but i organise downloaded lecture notes on my laptop.

also unsw has free wireless, yay :)

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
My plan is to use pen and paper for the maths/physics-heavy engineering subjects, and type for German and any other Arts subjects they allow in my combined degree.

dawdlex3

HSC
As the two people above said, mini laptops and paper notebooks can be useful for different subjects. I find it easier to type on a laptop for lectures with lots of textual information, since typing is neater and quicker than writing.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Just buy a laptop. They don't cost that much nowadays, UNSW has free wireless internet and using one instead of paper saves trees (not that I care, just thought I'd mention it).

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
Depending on the subject, you may/may not need a laptop. For subjects where the material is quite heavy (for example law), then yes you will most likely need it as lecturers can ramble on quite a bit.

On the other hand, for subjects like Commerce you don't really need it. I think for Engineering it's a 50/50 thing, all up to you. But personally if you want to make a good investment, get a laptop :p. You're better off in the long run ^^

rx34

HSC
Damn UNSW and their free wi-fi :( Anyway as what the above post says, you don't really need it for commerce. I will be getting one for law as I plan to study in uni and write notes.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Damn UNSW and their free wi-fi :( Anyway as what the above post says, you don't really need it for commerce. I will be getting one for law as I plan to study in uni and write notes.
You may as well just transfer to UNSW right now.

UNSW !!
HSC
Thanks everyone :)
You make very valid points about making the decision around what course I will do.

I'm doing a Bachelor of Arts - my subjects are: Linguistics, Media/Cutlure/Technology, Philosophy and Spanish.

What do you think for me??

Thanks !!

PS - I will physically write study notes when exam time comes (whether they are already written or typed - it's how I work lol).
I'm referring more to during lectures and tutorials for my decision.

Last edited:

UNSW !!
HSC
Hey again guys,

Thought I'd let you know that I bought an Asus Eee PC 1001HA yesterday (brilliant - $370) as well as a SMALL 4 subject notebook to take to uni. Cover both bases but obviously will be using the laptop more.

A laptop is better for the train rides to and from uni - can't write very well on a shaky train :)

Thanks for all your help everyone !!

dawdlex3

HSC
Hey again guys,

Thought I'd let you know that I bought an Asus Eee PC 1001HA yesterday (brilliant - $370) as well as a SMALL 4 subject notebook to take to uni. Cover both bases but obviously will be using the laptop more.

A laptop is better for the train rides to and from uni - can't write very well on a shaky train :)

Thanks for all your help everyone !!
WOOOOOT ASUS FTW! I got 1008HA :p

ct92

HSC
One thing that these threads about laptops vs notepads never address is that of prescribed work. I know there's no "homework" in the same sense as high school, but will there be times when we will be expected to produce completed work to tutors or other classmates? It seems almost rude to do that on a laptop, and perhaps preferable to have another notepad for these times, if they're frequent enough.

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
i picked writing notes in note book. but i really mean "write notes around lecture slides". that takes the need out of organising if youre doing it my hand. i cant be stuffed with laptops.

random boy

HSC
I went through the whole notebook vs netbook drama myself a few months back. My TAFE that im statrting soon offers free wifi however they do not allow the use of computers in class. Its a shame really as im doing MY HSC and the subjects im doing are soc & cul, stnd eng & mod Hist. Typing could have come in handy. However ive never really tried doing normal classwork on a word doc as im fresh outta highschool. So its a good old 3 subject colourhide for me :D

Depend son the subject!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)