minimum value of a cubic?? (1 Viewer)

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
i know that to find minimum of a parabola if there is one is to use the vertex formula, but is there a general way to find the minimum value of a cubic or any graph in general??

View attachment 36126
(above is the qn i'm stuck on but i want to know how to do it on my own)

Scimat

HSC
You can differentiate to find stationary points and see which point gives you a minimum. But for cubic or most odd functions, they have no range restrictions. So they can take all values of y and thus have no minimum points

Deem_Skills

HSC
Ye use first derivative and let it equal 0 to get stationary points then get the double derivative and test those points to determine if it's concave up or down (if double derivative > 0 it's concave up and you have a minimum and if it's < 0 it's concave down and you have a maximum and if it's = 0 it's a horizontal point of inflexion and is not a max or min)

also beware that first derivative doesnt pick up on tips like in absolute value

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
You can differentiate to find stationary points and see which point gives you a minimum. But for cubic or most odd functions, they have no range restrictions. So they can take all values of y and thus have no minimum points
Ye use first derivative and let it equal 0 to get stationary points then get the double derivative and test those points to determine if it's concave up or down (if double derivative > 0 it's concave up and you have a minimum and if it's < 0 it's concave down and you have a maximum and if it's = 0 it's a horizontal point of inflexion and is not a max or min)

also beware that first derivative doesnt pick up on tips like in absolute value
ohhhh, i forgot about using this, tyvm!!
(iirc this is a y12 topic right? would it still be fine to use it in a y11 yearly paper?)

Deem_Skills

HSC
ohhhh, i forgot about using this, tyvm!!
(iirc this is a y12 topic right? would it still be fine to use it in a y11 yearly paper?)
I doubt a question that requires that technique would appear in y11 because yes it's a year 12 topic. If I were you I'd make sure that there isnt any other way to solve the question and I'd go to it as a last resort otherwise it's probably not a good idea to use it unless the paper is for accelerated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)